\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

Down

A doctor who sexually assaulted three nurses was hired by the Southern Health and Social Care Trust to work in Daisy Hill.

Dr. Satpal Jabbal was hired to work in Daisy Hill Hospital for a year despite the fact that he was under investigation for three different sexual assaults on staff in a hospital he previously worked in.

The doctor's bizarre behavior came to light after a General Medical Council (GMC) fitness to practice panel launched an investigation into him.

In a written statement one nurse told how in 2001 Dr. Jabbal "freaked out" in a staff room when she playfully grabbed a remote control from his hand.

The nurse's report tells how Dr. Jabbal grabbed her left breast after she attempted to change the channel of the television.

He then stamped on a bag of crisps the nurse had, threw a cup of hot coffee over her and pushed the television off its stand.

The GMC also heard how he subjected another nurse to a continuous campaign of harassment between March 2006 and February 2007 and grabbed the breast of a third nurse as she tended to a patient who was under anesthetic.
(Source: Newry Democrat)

Dublin

A Garda sergeant is facing the sack after he was convicted of sexually assaulting a female colleague while on duty at a Dublin Garda station.

The veteran officer, who is in his 40s and had an "unblemished record", had pleaded not guilty at Dublin District Court to two counts of sexually assaulting his colleague, who was then on her first Garda station posting, on dates in March and June 2010.

Reporting restrictions were imposed earlier to prevent the identification of the complainant. This included an order prohibiting publication of the defendant's name, place of work and where the incidents allegedly occurred.

During the non-jury trial, now retired Garda Inspector James Flood told Judge Bridget Reilly that he investigated the claims and the defendant's attitude was "it never took place, he denied both allegations
(Source: The Evening Herald)

Fermanagh

A high risk pedophile who travelled across Northern Ireland to go bathing in a holiday center has admitted doing so in breach of his Sexual Offences Prevention Order.

The 63-year-old child molester Robert John Liddle admitted travelling from his Co Fermanagh home to the Silver Cliffs Holiday Village in Co Antrim last July “which afforded him access to a child or young person”.

Under the SOPO, Liddle, of Moorlough Road, Lisnaskea, should have obtained “consent from his designated risk manager” before making the unauthorized trip to the Clare Road holiday village in Ballycastle on July 11 last year.

Liddle, who has convictions for sexually abusing children as young as six and in 2000 was described as a “high risk” and a “danger to young girls” when jailed for two years for indecently assaulting an 11-year-old.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)

Galway

The commitment of the engineering and business faculties at NUI Galway to engage with local enterprises was a key factor in the decision by an indigenous cloud computing firm to create 80 new jobs in the city.

SourceDogg, who announced the 80 new jobs last week, have decided to move most of their operations to the IDA Business Park in Dangan just over two years after the company began operating in Dublin.

Company founders John Quigley and NUI Galway graduate Mark Scanlon are to maintain their development team in the capital, but otherwise they see their long-term future in Galway after beginning the process of moving to the West last September.
(Source: Galway Bay FM)

Kerry

A man whose wife died more than two months after undergoing brain surgery has partially settled his High Court action arising from her death.

Dermot Finn’s wife Noreen (58) died at Cork University Hospital in April 1997. Arising from her death, he sued the Southern Health Board; two neurosurgeons – Timothy Buckley and Charles Marks – of Cork University Hospital; and a Killarney GP, Dr. Miriam McCarthy.

When the case came before Mr. Justice Éamon de Valera last week, Eoin McCullough SC, for the neurosurgeons and GP, said there was a partial concession of liability in relation to the medics and an open offer of €300,000, plus costs, was being made to Mr. Finn.
(Source: Irish Times)

Kildare

A violent criminal and his teenage pal were shot dead when gunmen stormed a house last week.

The killers opened up indiscriminately with a shotgun and an automatic handgun, killing gangland figure Andy Barry and the teenager from Lithuania at the house in Co Kildare.

Two others in the house at Kilcock were wounded in the crossfire, one seriously.

There are fears of a savage retaliation after the killing of Barry (30), a nephew of notorious crime suspect Troy Jordan.

Two other men who were in the house at Rochford Avenue in Kilcock at 10.20pm last Tuesday night were seriously injured in the gun attack. The killings unfolded in the downstairs area of the house when it was stormed by masked gunmen.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: