\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

SDLP Foyle MLA Mark H Durkan has hit out at “excessive” car insurance premiums which are making it very difficult for Derry drivers to get on the road. Speaking at a Consumer Council event at Stormont, Mr Durkan said he wants to get to the bottom of the high charges. “We must establish why premiums have increased across the North by a reported 40% in the 12 months to March 2011 and why people in Derry continue to be penalised with the highest premiums of any area in our region. Indeed we need not only to assess this, but redress it.” He said that insurers had no reason to impose higher charges as the North road safety record has been vastly improved with “the number of deaths on the road last year being the lowest since records began”.

“Nor can they blame the prevalence of no-win-no-fee lawsuits arising from road accidents – this isn’t a practice we enter into here,” he said. Mr Durkan added: “It is essential for our economic and social wellbeing that people have access to reasonably priced insurance.”
(Source: Derry Journal)

Donegal

A total of nine people were charged following a melee in Gweedore when four Gardai were surrounded by more than 100 night - clubbers outside a chip shop.

Nine men were accused at Dungloe District Court last Tuesday of 22 offences which included public disorder, obstructing Gardai, intoxication in a public place, threatening, insulting and abusive behavior and assault on three of the Garda on March 6 last at Ardnagappery, Derrybeg.

Two of the men, 22-year-old Michael Curran of Middle Dore, Bunbeg and 24-year-old Cathal Breslin of Bunbeg, are accused of assaults on the three Gardai as well as charges of obstruction, failure to comply with the instructions of a peace officer, intoxication and threatening, insulting and abusive behavior.

The remaining defendants are Matthew Crossan,(21) Bunbeg, Michael McBride,(23) Stranacorka, Derrybeg, Stephen Kissane,(21) Meenakiller, Derrybeg, Shuan Curran,(19) Middle Dore, Derrybeg, Daniel Curran,(21) Ardnagappery, Derrybeg, Patrick Harley,(19) Middle Dore, Bunbeg, Cathal Friel,(19) Lunniagh, Derrybeg.

The defendants were charged with threatening, insulting and abusive behavior, intoxication in a public place with Stephen Kissane and Shaun Curran also facing charges of willful obstruction.
(Source: Donegal Democrat)

Down

On January 10 councilors in North Down took to the streets with a petition against the proposal to close Holywood Police Station that was announced as part of the PSNI’s Estates Strategy in late 2011.

They are urging ratepayers across the Borough to sign the petition, which demands that the PSNI take immediate action to reconsider the proposal and to retain the Police Station in |Holywood.
They say that the closure would have a devastating effect on ‘public confidence, wellbeing and security’.

The petition was proposed by Alderman Gordon Dunne MLA, Councilor Alex Easton, MLA, Councilor Jennifer Gilmour and Councilor Peter Weir MLA and received unanimous support from all members of North Down Borough Council.

Councilor Dunne said: “In conversation with residents from Holywood and the surrounding area, the extent of public opinion against the proposed closure has been impressed upon me.

“There is genuine concern about the impact the closure would have on people’s safety and security.
“This petition gives residents the opportunity to express their concerns and will be presented to the Chief Constable in due course.”

Councilor Andrew Muir said: “The population in Holywood amounts to 12,000 people, sufficient to justify a strong police presence in the town.

“From an operational standpoint it makes no sense to further burden the Bangor Station with providing support to Holywood on top of its current responsibilities.

“Furthermore, Holywood Police Station is a success story, with an incredibly effective community policing team that is fully supported by local people. We do not want to lose this.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)

-------------------

Read more:

More news from Ireland on IrishCentral

Irish homeowners now have legal right to shoot intruders

Irish husband and wife tell of harrowing ordeal as Italian cruiser sinks

-------------------


Dublin

This is the first photo of the woman charged with murdering a father-of-two in west Dublin.

David Darcy (39) was shot dead outside his home at Cherry Orchard Avenue in Ballyfermot on the morning of November 28.

Rose Lynch (49) of Oakleigh Wood, Limerick, was charged with Mr Darcy's murder at Dublin District Court on December 20 last.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: