\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

Roscommon

Campaigners welcomed the unanimous decision of Roscommon County Council calling for a ban on the method of shale gas extraction known as “fracking” in the county.

A motion calling for the ban and urging Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources Pat Rabbitte to accede to the wishes of councilors of all parties was passed following a presentation last week from the north Roscommon-based Ardcarne Community against Fracking group. Mayor of Roscommon Eugene Murphy said he believed Roscommon was the first county council to call for such a ban. He said the council had invited representatives from Tamboran Resources, one of two companies granted licenses to carry out preliminary exploration in the Lough Allen basin, to address its February meeting.

“We hope when they see that 26 members of the council from all parties voted for a ban that they will realize how strongly we feel.”
(Source: Irish Times)

Sligo

A man charged with the theft of two ladies handbags and two scarves from Penneys was said to have suffered skull trauma as a result of a boxing career in his native Poland, Sligo District Court was told.

Summoned for theft of the items, valued at €45 at Penneys, O'connell Street on September 5th last was Robert Detka, 18 Avondale. He had previous convictions for theft, said Inspector Donal Sweeney.

Mr. Mark Mullaney, solicitor (defending), pleaded that Detka had suffered skull trauma from a career in boxing in Poland and a medical report outlining this was handed in to court. The defendant and his wife intended setting up a recycling business and had secured grant aid.

"I would ask that you give him one last chance," pleaded Mr. Mullaney.

Judge Kevin Kilrane imposed a three months sentence, suspended for two years.

"If you steal again you will go to prison," the Judge warned Detka.
(Source: The Sligo Champion)

-----------------

READ MORE:

More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Winter storm lashes Ireland as first snow falls

Surprisingly, Jewish Hanukkah menorah now a favorite Irish Christmas tradition

-----------------
Tipperary

As Christmas, the season of goodwill, looms on the horizon, a total of 619 families in North Tipperary are seeking accommodation from North Tipperary County Council, with little or no prospect of any festive joy, The Tipperary Star can reveal.

The realities of the economic downturn are beginning to bite hard on cash strapped families and the local authority is having to bear the brunt of the hit with more and more applicants coming onto the housing list, year on year. A total of 224 applicants have been helped out already this year by the council with 86 having been housed through casual vacancies ( up from 44 in 2010); 25 housed in new or purchased properties; 6 housed in leased properties; 106 transferred to the Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS) and two applicants granted housing loans.
(Source: Tipperary Star)

Tyrone

Janet Devlin has missed out on a place in the X Factor semi-final after her lacklustre performance failed to win her votes.

The Co Tyrone teenager forgot some of the words to 90s hit Mmm Bop last Saturday night's show, later blaming the mistake on feeling like she was "going to throw up" after eating something funny.

Her second song, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Under the Bridge, was marginally more successful but not enough to save her from Sunday's sing-off with Mancunian Misha B.

Janet, 17, hoped singing Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol would be enough to win over the judges, but they preferred her rival's version of Out Here On My Own from the musical Fame.

Mentor Kelly Rowland was unable to choose between her two acts and abstained from voting, having admitted "feeling sick" when both girls ended up in the bottom two.

Louis Walsh had already decided to save Misha B however, saying: "I'm going to pick the person who's going to give the most to this competition."

He was followed by Tulisa, who voted for Misha B after saying she wanted to save the person "who's going to sell records, who's going to sell out arenas".
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)

Waterford

A male was tied up and threatened with a baseball bat after four males burst into his home at Lower Grange after he opened the front door.

The man in his 40s was taken away in an ambulance on Monday morning at approximately 8.30am following his ordeal at the hands of four men wear wearing balaclavas.

The man was not injured in the incident but a small amount of cash was handed over in the burglary.
Gardaí were notified of the incident after passers-by noticed the front door was open.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: