\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

The design and delivery of the project is being coordinated by local architect Brian Dunlop of Brian Dunlop Architects. Local contractors Pierce Handrick and Ciaran McElwee are currently working on the external washing and electrics of the church respectively and it is hoped a significant number of local contractors will also be involved in the second phase of the works.

It is estimated that the total cost of the repair, renovation and redecoration of the three churches will be in the region of €390,000.
(Source: Kilkenny People)

Laois

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) served a record 12 enforcement orders all over the country last month, including one to a Laois business.

The Deadman’s Inn pub in Ballyfin was served with a closure order by the FSAI on 25 October. The closure order was then lifted by the regulator the following day. This is only the second enforcement order taken out on a Laois business this year, after the Lucky Palace Chinese restaurant in Portlaoise was also handed down a closure order in February.

It is rare that a Laois business is given a closure order; only six have been dished out in the county in the past 12 years. Five of these have been to food outlets, while the Deadman’s Inn has become the first public house in the county to be given a closure order.
(Source: Leinster Express)

Leitrim

Gardai are investigating a major burglary of jewellery worth over €10,000 in Mohill last week.

Last Wednesday night, November 9 a dwelling house in Mohill town was broken into. The home was unoccupied at the time and jewellery were the only items targeted.

On the same night a business in Drishogue, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Roscommon was broken into. A large number of “valuable documents” were taken from the premises.

Gardai do not think there is a connection between the two burglaries.
(Source: Leitrim Observer)

Limerick

Limerick city has received a major boost with confirmation that mor than 200 army personnel are to be transferred to Sarsfield Barracks from Kickham Barracks in Clonmel over the next few months.

The Defence Forces has confirmed that 16 officers, 184 enlisted personnel and six civilian employees will all be transferred to Sarsfield Barracks following the Government decision on Tuesday to close Kickham Barracks and three other army barracks across the country.

All of the closures, which form part of cost-cutting measures, are due to be completed by March 30, 2012.

The Limerick Leader understands that significant investment will be required at Sarsfield Barracks in order to accommodate the additional personnel and the works will commence almost immediately.

While no figures have been officially disclosed, the figure is likely to be in the region of €5 million
Mayor of Limerick, Cllr Jim Long, says the arrival of the Defence Forces personnel from Clonmel will be a major boost for the city.

“We have to welcome the addition of these 200 plus people to Limerick and I would have to welcome any additional investment in Sarsfield Barracks because it is one of the core strategic barracks in the country,” he said.

Cllr Long says he hopes the Defence Forces personnel will be welcomed when they arrive in Limerick early next year.

“Our soldiers are more than an army; they are part of the economy and they spend money in the local economy when they go about their daily lives,” he said.
(Source: Limerick Leader)

Longford

A Moyne woman died at Cavan General Hospital on Thursday following injuries that she sustained in an accident in Arva Wednesday evening. The woman was knocked down by a car while crossing the road close to the Church at Coronea, Arva around 7:50pm Wednesday night. The woman who was in her early 60s was a resident of the Drumhaldry area of Moyne and was married with grown up children.
(Source: Longford Leader)

Louth

Louth are at an advanced stage of solving their stadium woes, with delegates set to be asked to give the green-light to a new 12,000 capacity stadium at next month’s county convention.

Clubs were informed at last Tuesday’s county board meeting that the GAA had given their backing to the proposal which would see Louth GAA link up with Dundalk IT to co-develop the new facility on the college’s grounds.

The cost ground, which would host a seating area of around 4,000, is €6m and under the agreement between the two parties, Dundalk IT would foot half the bill. The other €3m would be shared equally between the Louth county board and Croke Park, meaning the total cost to the Wee County could be just €1.5m.
(Source: Evening Herald)

Mayo

The widow of a young Newport man who tragically lost his life in a traffic accident last Wednesday morning has made an emotional plea, reminding people to look after their loved ones and tell them how important they are every day.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: