\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties

\"News

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

One of the 26 staff who are to lose their jobs at Flair International in February has spoke of his dread at the prospect of having no work to go to. Currently there are 87 people employed by the Bailieborough factory, including the field sales team. The company last week stressed that this course of action is essential in order to save the jobs of the remaining 61 people.

The company says that the requirement to cut the workforce has been brought on by a number of factors, most notably the Irish sales of Flair's shower enclosures has dropped significantly during the last four years of recession. Growth in the UK and mainland Europe has not been sufficient to offset the fall in Irish sales.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)

Clare

Clare Mental Health Services has apologized to a Sixmilebridge woman over its failure to deal properly with a complaint concerning her dissatisfaction with treatment of her husband, who was admitted as a voluntary patient to the Acute Psychiatric Unit of Ennis Hospital. 

Delores Keogh, Castlecrine, Sixmilebridge, has also described her shock and upset at receiving a “shameful” HSE letter as part of the release of medical records under the FOI act, which incorrectly stated her husband, John, who was 59 when he was admitted for treatment, was dead.


Both related issues came to light last week following the release of a report by the Office of the Ombudsman, which stated a local manager couldn’t find any record to indicate whether the complaint made by Mrs Keogh was ever referred to a senior medic and acknowledged that, in all probability, it was not done.


Diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2002, Mr Keogh was treated for suspected Lewy Body Dementia in 2008 and is still receiving treatment for dementia. Mrs Keogh currently receives six hours assistance per week from a carer, even though she insists John needs 24-hour care.
Mrs Keogh has requested the HSE to conduct an independent public inquiry into all aspects of her husband’s care, including his medication and treatment while he was patient in the Clare Mental Health Services over an eight-week period from February 2009 when he was admitted to Ennis Hospital.

She believes this inquiry should include all psychiatric patients who were present at the time, covering all the treatments they received from medical staff. 
The Mid-West HSE hadn’t responded to a number of Clare Champion queries at the time of going to press. 
However, when questioned on Mr Keogh’s case back in April 2009, the HSE stated it was confident this patient “is receiving high-quality care delivered by clinical staff and expert in the management of this type of illness”.


“The cases dealt with by staff can be extremely difficult and often require 24 hour, one-to-one nursing, which is provided at the hospital.
“The Acute Psychiatric Unit in Ennis Hospital, which is managed by the Clare Mental Health Services, is an approved centre under the terms of the Mental Health Act and offers a quality of treatment and care that is informed by best practice. HSE staff responsible for the care of mental health patients are committed to providing caring, professional and competent care to these patients.”

The HSE letter, which caused great upset for Mrs Keogh, was sent on December 21 last and referenced “Mr John Keogh RIP”.

It stated, “Please note these are the only medical records we hold on your deceased husband attending the Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Dooradoyle”.


Mrs Keogh was extremely upset to receive this letter and said it took her a number of days to get over it. Her husband was sitting in the next room when she was reading the letter.

However, she said if he had been in hospital at the time it would have been even more upsetting, as she would have presumed he was dead, having received official notification of this.
(Source: The Clare Champion)
--------------------

READ MORE:

More news articles from Irleand on IrishCentral

 

US tourist says she captured image of Jesus on Cliffs of Moher

Archbishop of Dublin shocked at survey into public reaction to clerical sex abuse

-------------------

Cork

Bus Éireann has denied that bus drivers in the city are at risk of being attacked by passengers, following a claim that it’s a matter of time before a bus driver in severely injured on the No. 5 route.

Speaking to the Cork Independent, one Cork city bus driver who works both the number 5 and 8 routes, along with others, said it is a matter of time before a driver is bottled or stabbed while carrying out duties for Bus Éireann.

On Thursday 27 October, thousands of euros of damage was done to the 10.45pm bus from Cork Institute of Technology (CIT) as it made its way into the city centre. Gardaí in Bishopstown confirmed that the investigation into the incident is ongoing.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: