Source: The Limerick Leader
Gardai (police) have released the two men who were being questioned following the discovery of eight pipe bombs at a house outside Longford town on Sunday evening last. A file will now be prepared for the Director of Public prosecutions to decide if any charges are to be brought over the incident. The men, who are in their 40s and late teens respectively, were released without charge on Tuesday evening last. They were being questioned following the find at a house just off the main Longford to Lanesboro Road on Sunday last.
Source: The Longford Leader
The Drogheda Independent has learned of a number of incidents in the past fortnight of babies and young children being left in cars alone in the car parks at two local retail parks, sometimes in high temperatures, while the parent or guardian goes shopping. 'I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the first car, which was well into the car park, and had a small infant sitting alone in the back seat crying, with a window down just a crack,' one reader stated. 'There was no sign of an adult, so I contacted security, who told me they had to break a window just last week to get to a baby who had been left in the car alone while the parent went shopping, and when they returned, discovered they had actually left their keys in the car.' It has been reported that similar incidents have happened.
Source: The Drogheda Independent
Government Ministers do not accept that Belmullet gardaí (police) exceeded their powers when they arrested fishermen Pat and Jonathan O’Donnell last month ahead of the arrival of Shell pipelaying vessel, the Solitaire. However, they told a delegation of Erris fishermen, who met them in Dublin last Friday, that the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey had given Chief Supt Michael Larkin extra powers under Section 39 of the Maritime Safety Act 2005. Mr. Eddie Diver, Chairman of the Erris Inshore Fishermen’s Association (EIFA), also said that EIFA accepted that local gardaí were acting under orders. He also said that Friday’s meeting, organized by Minister Dara Calleary, had been very positive and constructive.
Source: The Mayo News
The Trim area has suffered a major jobs blow with the announcement that 18 jobs are to go at local envelope manufacturing firm, Trimfold. Employees were told last Monday that due to the company’s withdrawal from the UK market where it can no longer compete, 18 jobs would be lost at the Trim plant. It is understood that the envelope manufacturer, which is located in the Duggan Industrial Estate on the Athboy Road, currently employees approximately 50 people. A meeting took place last Friday between SIPTU officials who represent the workers, and management of Trimfold, one of the town’s longest-established companies.
Source: The Meath Chronicle
A Monaghan TD has claimed that an egg attack on her home where her three children were in the early hours of last Sunday morning was “inextricably linked” to an IFA protest the day before. However, a senior IFA spokesman refutes this allegation made by Deputy Margaret Conlon in the aftermath of the attack. Last Saturday scores of farmers attended the Fianna Fáil Deputy’s house at Lough Eglish, Castlebayney protesting over the controversial cuts to REPs and later that night the egg attack occurred.
Source: The Monaghan Post
The prospect of US President Barack Obama visiting Offaly increased last week, after the new US Ambassador said Obama “definitely” plans on traveling to Ireland. U.S. Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney, speaking at a press conference, after presenting his credentials in Dublin Friday two weeks ago, said: “Well I know that he wants to come ...When things settle down, he definitely would plan it.”
Source: The Offaly Independent
Haven, a state of the art facility owned and operated by the National Association of Housing for Visually Impaired (NAHVI) located in Oakport, Cootehall, Co Roscommon was officially launched this month. At the launch, Margaret Doyle, Chairperson of NAHVI said, "NAHVI are delighted our new centre is located in such a beautiful part of the country. The local community have welcomed us and made us feel like we truly belong." The center provides a place where visually impaired young people and their families can go for a relaxing break from daily life.
Source: The Roscommon People
The reopening of Lissadell House and Gardens, on a temporary basis, follows recent calls from Dail Deputy John Perry as well as comments from the Mayor of Sligo, Councilor. Jimmy McGarry, raising concerns over what he termed the "negative impact" the Lissadell House closure was having on local tourism. Confirming that the House, gardens and coach house reopened from last Friday, Lissadell manager Isobel Cassidy said the owners of the property, Edward Walsh and Constance Cassidy, had taken the decision to "try to minimize the damage to local businesses in the current tourist season."