\"What's

What's going on around Ireland this week Photo by: Discover Ireland

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland, week of August 4 2013

\"What's

What's going on around Ireland this week Photo by: Discover Ireland

Plans for the much anticipated Narrow Water Bridge are in turmoil after it was revealed two weeks ago that no more money will be made available to cover a multi-million dollar funding shortfall.

The cross-border project, which was set to span Carlingford Lough between Omeath and Narrow Water Castle, was thrown into doubt in recent weeks when Louth County Council revealed that the costing of the bridge had been underestimated by a staggering 13-33 million dollars.

Initially the scheme was estimated to cost around 23 million dollars with the E.U. providing most of the funding, but tenders have now come back ranging from 34-53 million dollars.
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]

DUBLIN

Pat Kenny has denied his decision to leave R.T.É. for Newstalk was down to money.

"I had two offers on the table. The money was not the over-riding factor at all.

"R.T.É. made me a very generous offer, but I weighed it up. I discussed it with the family," he said in an interview with Newstalk.

"They kind of detected the enthusiasm I had for fundamental change.”
[Source: Evening Herald]

FERMANAGH

A Ballinmallard man has been sentenced to a six-month imprisonment after he went on the rampage at the South West Acute Hospital (S.W.A.H.), punching a television and damaging water supplies among other offenses.

Darren McGill (22), of Main Street in the town, was arraigned on a litany of offenses including three counts of criminal damage and one count of harassment.

The accused admitted to all of the offenses, which were said to have happened in January and May of this year.
[Source: Fermanagh Herald]

GALWAY

Over two-thirds of a million dollars has been approved for Galway summer festivals.

Six events throughout the city and county have secured the funding from the Arts Council.

Galway Arts Festival is to receive the largest chunk of funding of $620,000.

This is followed by Clifden Community Arts Week, which has secured $93,000.
[Source: Galway Bay FM]

KERRY

The court gave Patrick Hegarty (69), of Ross Road, Killarney, County Kerry, until Sept 3 to arrange his affairs after it doubled an effective two-year sentence imposed on him in February 2011, and which he has since completed.

The former pest control company employee had been sentenced to seven years with the last five suspended over the repeated rape of his English niece on a number of occasions during a summer holiday she spent in his home in 1991.

Last Wednesday, following an appeal from the D.P.P. over the leniency of that sentence, the Court of Criminal Appeal said the term should be seven years with three suspended.
[Source: Irish Examiner]

KILDARE

A 76-year-old woman died following a car crash in County Kildare last Wednesday.

Gardaí (police) said the serious single vehicle collision occurred on the Derrinturn to Carbury Road near the Offaly/Kildare border at around 3:30 p.m.

The woman was taken to the Midland Regional Hospital at Tullamore where she later died. It’s believed she had an underlying medical condition.
[Source: Irish Independent]

KILKENNY

A local man is going to walk from Goresbridge to Derry to raise funds for the children’s hospital in Crumlin.

John Maher has meticulously planned out his route, which involves nine consecutive days of walking, covering around 23 miles each day.

He will leave Kilkenny on August 9, and head along the River Barrow for the first three days as far as Rathangan in County Kildare. Then, it’s out onto the roads towards Edenderry, Ballyjamesduff in Cavan, and Clones in Monaghan, before he crosses the border into Fivemiletown, Tyrone, and Gurteen, before the final trip to Derry.
[Source: Kilkenny People]

LAOIS

Evidence identifying the owner of illegally dumped rubbish near Vicarstown, will be used to take them to court, where they could be fined of $4,000.

Clr. Tom Mulhall has urged homeowners to be careful who they choose to remove waste, as they will be liable if it is dumped illegally.

A load of waste and household rubbish was dumped at the entrance to Rossmore Woods late Monday night, July 22, on the Cappakeel to Vicarstown road.
[Source: Leinster Express]

LEITRIM

Two Gardaí (police) remain off work after the squad car they were travelling in was struck by a car they were pursuing in relation to road traffic offenses.

The incident occurred on Wednesday morning, July 24 at approximately 4:35 a.m.

The Leitrim Observer understands Gardaí were made aware of a car which was thought to be acting suspiciously in the Drumshanbo area during the Joe Mooney Summer School Festival, which was held in the town two weeks ago.
[Source: Leitrim Observer]

LIMERICK

A student has failed in a bid to overturn his expulsion from U.L. after the Equality Tribunal ruled his claims of racial discrimination were baseless.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: