\"Check

Check out what's going on in your home county Photo by: Google Images

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland, Oct 13 2013

\"Check

Check out what's going on in your home county Photo by: Google Images

ANTRIM

A community worker could have “burned in her bed” following an early morning arson attack on her Springfarm home, the Antrim Guardian can reveal.

Some semblance of normality had returned to the estate in recent months following a wave of attacks on people, houses and cars – but things remain tense.
 [Source: Antrim Guardian]

ARMAGH

An elderly lady is recovering from her ordeal after her home was targeted by thieves early on Friday afternoon, October 4.

The pensioner, aged in her 80s, was in her home on the Blayney Road, Newtownhamilton, when two burglars forced their way into the property.

Luckily, a passer-by noticed the suspicious activity and immediately alerted police who arrived on the scene shortly afterwards.  He managed to detain one of the burglars until police arrived.  The second suspect was subsequently apprehended nearby.

Police said a 28-year-old man and his 15-year-old accomplice were arrested shortly after the incident was reported around 4:30 p.m., and thanked the member of the public for his “quick thinking and brave actions.”
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]

CARLOW

A local woman who was so impressed with last year’s Mensana Fest that it spurred her into getting involved with Carlow Mental Health Association is now encouraging others to come out and experience this year’s event.

The mental health festival started on Sunday, October 6, and ran to the following Saturday.

Christine Davis from Carlow Town attended last year’s festival and was moved to be part of the organization that she believes “is working so passionately on promoting a positive attitude towards mental health.”
[Source: Carlow Nationalist]

CAVAN

Gardaí (police) have said the missing man at the center of an alleged abduction from outside a housing estate in Virginia has been located "safe and well."

Gardaí in Cavan began last Wednesday continuing their investigation and seeking the public’s assistance following an alleged abduction of a man in the east of the county on Tuesday afternoon, October 8.

The abducted man, named as Richard O’Donovan (31) of Virginia, Cavan, was driving his Blue/Grey B.M.W. 3 series car at the entrance to the Swiftbrook Glen Estate at 3:30 p.m. last Tuesday when it was rammed by a silver B.M.W. X5 four-wheel drive.

It is understood the occupants of the four-wheel drive then dragged Mr. O’Donovan from his car before bundling him into the B.M.W. X5 jeep and driving out of the estate making their escape from the area. It is understand from Garda reports that Mr. O’Donovan had only been living in Virginia for a number of months, and that he is originally from Navan, County Meath.
[Source: The Anglo Celt]

CLARE

The body of a man who fell into the sea while fishing in County Clare on Sunday, October 6, has been recovered.

Naval divers recovered the body of the 42-year-old Latvian man at around 11:30 a.m. at Ballyreen near Fanore.

It is believed the man, who lived in County Roscommon, was washed into the sea while fishing for mackerel with friends.

The search operation involved the coast guard, navy and Gardaí (police).
[Source: RTE News]

CORK

Cork restaurants led the charge against the planned rise in V.A.T. in last week's budget, with a Twitter protest last Wednesday evening.

According to Richard Jacob, who runs Café Idaho on Caroline Street, the planned 50 percent increase in V.A.T. "is not just a tax on restaurants and the hospitality industry, but it means we have to put up the price of everything.

"We haven't put up our prices for two years because we know we can't – people just don't have the money for it so we have absorbed the rise in prices of cheese, energy, lots of things. Every hospitality business will have to charge more.”
[Source: Cork Independent]

DERRY

Creggan Councilor Kevin Campbell said that he hoped supply would be restored last Wednesday night to hundreds of homes in Creggan left without water after a pipe burst.

He said: “Both Colly Kelly and I have been inundated with phone calls from early morning from residents in the new development of Ballymagowan, Circular Road, and Creggan Heights to say the water in their homes was off. I contacted N.I. Water who sent an engineer to the scene.

“Councilor Kelly also went to the scene and spoke to N.I. Water officials, who informed him that a burst pipe was the source of the problem and it was a major job. It was fixed around 3 p.m., but burst again shortly afterwards. Hundreds of homes have been without water for an entire day and there is low water pressure in other areas of Creggan.”
[Source: Derry Journal]

DONEGAL

A new treasure trove – archive recordings of Irish speakers including men from Donegal – has just been launched.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: