The weather conditions were good at the time.
[Source: Meath Chronicle]
The A.B.P. Food Group, which was at the center of the horse meat scandal, has announced plans to D.N.A.-test almost a million cattle a year. The firm says this will allow meat products to be traced back to the animal of origin.
Chief Executive Paul Finnerty said the company had learned “significant lessons” from the horse meat scandal and had been closely examining the potential for D.N.A. testing since then.
A.B.P.’s former Silvercrest plant in Ballybay, County Monaghan, produced the burger containing 29 percent horse meat that was the focus of the horse meat scandal in January. It sold the plant to Kepak last month and the new owners announced two weeks ago that they had won back the Burger King contract that was lost when the horse meat scandal erupted.
[Source: Irish Times]
Two males aged in their 20s have been arrested by Gardaí (police) following an armed robbery in Geashill, County Offaly, on May 28th.
At approximately 7:45 p.m., two males wearing balaclavas and armed with a knife entered a convenience store in Geashill. They threatened and held up staff-members before leaving the store with an amount of money.
One of the males was apprehended by two members of the public as he left the store and was arrested by Gardaí minutes later. The second male fled the scene in a car. During a follow-up operation, a car was intercepted by Gardaí near Portarlington and a second male was arrested.
[Source: Offaly Express]
The Department of the Environment has approved emergency funding of over €300,000 to help deal with a cryptosporidium outbreak.
It will be used to help fund the installation of a temporary U.V. and filtration system at a source of the Roscommon central water scheme in Ballingard outside Roscommon Town.
The funding will allow locals to once again safely use the water, after a weeks-long boil water notice.
[Source: RTE News]
Kevin Walsh has received the backing of the Sligo County Board despite their defeat to London in the Connacht Football Championship.
Sligo suffered the embarrassment of being the first side to lose to the Exiles in provincial action for 36 years last Sunday week.
Former all-star and Sunday Game analyst Eamonn O’Hara called on Walsh to relinquish his position after the exit.
However, Sligo Secretary Gerard O’Connor has told the Irish Independent that they will stick by Walsh for the qualifiers at least.
[Source: RTE News]
Bubbly Mrs. Maureen Armstrong, of Upperchurch, ran her 19th Dublin City Women’s Mini-Marathon on June 3 – at 88-years of age!
She was joined by her daughters, Martina Heffernan, of Two Mile Borris and Librarian, Marian Heffernan of Celbridge, County Kildare, and her grand-daughter, Fiona Armstrong. Three generations of a very popular and caring family who were all set for the great day for a great cause, the Irish Cancer Society.
[Source: Tipperary Star]
Parishioners at two churches in Dungannon have been reassured following the withdrawal of parking tickets issued to them while they attended church.
Churchgoers who parked on double yellow lines on Scotch Street while they attended Sunday morning services at Dungannon Presbyterian Church and St. Anne's Church last month were shocked to find they had received parking tickets from the police.
Concerns were raised about how the minor parking violations were handled and why tickets weren't issued for parking violations throughout the town.
[Source: Tyrone Courier]
The people of Waterford were rooting for Waterford Rose Ellen Flahavan last weekend as she took part in the Rose of Tralee Regional Festival in Portlaoise.
Ellen, the daughter of John and Mary Flahavan, of Flahavan’s Porridge in Kilmacthomas, was one of 61 hopefuls, of which 21 were selected to advance on to the final of the competition in Tralee.
Speaking to the Waterford News & Star, primary school teacher Ellen said, “I would love to go through, I think anyone would, it’s a brilliant opportunity.” At time of press Irish Central Community News didn’t have the results of the roses selected.
[Source: Waterford News & Star]
Staff-members at Tesco Mullingar are armed with champagne for one lucky winner of $13.7million!
The $5 quick-pick buyer did the Lotto on Tuesday evening, May 28, and has yet to claim their prize.
The win is the highest ever experienced at the store, which has seen several winners, including a quarter of a million, and twice two million dollar winners, but nothing of this extent.
[Source: Westmeath Examiner]
History was brought alive two weekends ago as Enniscorthy paid tribute to the 20,000 insurgents who faced the might of 10,000 well-trained and well-armed Crown Forces in 1798.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: