The streets of Antrim echoed to the sound of more than 8,000 pairs of feet as more than 70 Lodges from the East Antrim Combine's nine Districts joined the colourful parade through the town.
At the stroke of 11am the procession started in brilliant sunshine with the clattering of hooves as King William of Orange, flanked by the North Irish Dragoons, moved off from Fountain Hill at the head of Antrim's biggest ever Twelfth of July parade.
Within minutes drums, flutes, bagpipes and brass joined in the mix, along with cheers from the huge crowds that lined the route through the heart of the town.
Among them were visitors from all over the UK and further afield, accompanied by 60 bands from Northern Ireland, Scotland and England.
UCD student Natasha McShane, who suffered serious head injuries after being attacked with a baseball bat in Chicago, has returned home to Ireland.
The 23-year-old postgraduate student from Silverbridge in South Armagh was celebrating with a friend, Stacey Jurich (24), when they were attacked last April.
Ms McShane had secured an internship which meant she could prolong her stay in the US city where she had been studying for the semester.
Ms McShane was transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, where she will undergo a crainioplasty procedure under the care of renowned trauma-surgeon Dr Tom Flannery. Following her recuperation, she will continue her rehabilitation programme in a nearby specialised unit.
Three accidents at the same bend little more than 24 hours apart have left residents at Crossneen, Carlow terrified that someone will be killed outside their homes.
The accidents happened just hours apart last Thursday/Friday, smashing into the front wall of two neighbouring houses and writing off four cars.
The treacherous bend is located at the end of the row of bungalows on the road from Graiguecullen to Milford, a stretch used by large volumes of traffic.
Luckily no-one was seriously injured in the accidents but residents warn that it’s only a matter of time before the dangerous bends could claim lives.
“There is a serious ongoing danger to life here,” said resident Rosaleen Kearns, whose wall was damaged in both the first and the third accident.
A Cavan man who was found guilty of the murder of a 33-year-old father of one was sentenced to life in prison in the Central Criminal Court on Monday, July 12.
Trevor McCabe (35), of Mountpleasant, Ballyconnell, had pleaded not guilty to murdering Darren McGrath (33), in Belturbet, on May 20, 2008.
Last week, the accused was found guilty of the murder of Mr.. McGrath by a jury of eight women and four men, who reached their majority verdict of 10-2 after almost eight hours of deliberation.
It was the prosecution's case that Mr. McCabe shot Mr. McGrath as he slept in bed beside his fiance. They said Mr. McCabe entered the house with a shotgun at approximately 5am, shot Mr. McGrath twice in the head, and then drove away.
(Source:The Anglo Celt)
Five weeks after they were spirited away at dawn, the Kilkee diving boards at Newfoundout in the West End, have been returned to their former plinths.
Clare County Council put the boards back in place on Tuesday morning at 7am. The only significant difference is the presence of new signs at the location and a new handrail, which is situated between the upper and lower boards.
Both boards were removed by the local authority for health and safety reasons before being temporarily restored for the duration of an Irish Water Safety risk assessment report, only to be taken down again.
Acting Kilkee town manager Nora Kaye, who informed the monthly meeting of Kilkee Town Council on June 8 that the boards were to be removed, has acknowledged that the health and safety audit should ideally have been carried out last September, before the boards were taken down for the winter.
(Source:The Clare Champion)
A man arrested in Darwin in connection with an attack on Cork man David Keohane will appear in court early tomorrow morning.
New Zealander Kane Desmond Tupuolamoui, aged 21, was arrested in Darwin yesterday and brought before a local court early today, where his extradition to Sydney was approved by a magistrate.
He was flown to Sydney this afternoon, Irish time, and was due before a local court early tomorrow, Irish time.
According to New South Wales police, he will be charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent to murder David Keohane at Coogee, Sydney, at about 3am on August 9, 2008.
The 30-year-old from Ballyvolane is currently wheelchair-bound after receiving head injuries in the incident.
The team behind the City of Culture bid were on cloud nine last night as the news swept across the Guildhall's main room that we had won the title.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: