A major report into the state’s spending on local authority housing says that people are refusing offers of a home because they feel that an area is “undesirable”. The report went on to suggest that people who refuse two ‘reasonable’ offers of a home should be forced to suffer “substantial penalties” including moving further down the waiting list.
(Source: Longford Leader)
A new map of who lies in each grave in Castletown Graveyard has been erected in the last few weeks.
The facility was installed at the entrance to the graveyard by Dundalk Tidy Towns committee after local youth group High Voltage carried out refurbishment works at the graveyard to make it more presentable.
Dundalk Tidy Towns committee chairman, Willie Duffy, heaped praise on High Voltage for the work they did in tidying up the graveyard.
He said: “The idea for the map came about after High Voltage approached the Tidy Towns committee looking for help to do the work.
“We agreed to give them some money towards the clean up and they strimmed down the high grass, cleaned the gravestones and overall did a hell of a job in cleaning the place up. Before then there had been bushes that were waist high.
“When we seen the good work they were doing we started to try and put information together on who all were buried in the graveyard. We drew up the map as best we could and put it on display.”
Willie said he was hopeful that the new map could help people track down their ancestors.
“There’s an old saying that if you don’t have a relative in Castletown then you’re only a runner so it’s a good way for people to track their local heritage.
“If any of the information is not correct though then we’ll be happy to change it.”
Willie admitted that the project would never have got off the ground though were it not for High Voltage.
“They worked so hard on it and it’s a credit to them.
“Young people can get bad publicity at times but they were superb. You can walk around all the graves now and it’s as clean as can be and now that it’s like that they will ensure that it’s kept like that,” he said.
(Source: Dundalk Democrat)
A 30-year Straide man has revealed how he was ‘terrorised’ by a ‘bully’ sent by ACC Bank to seize his five-year-old Toyota Hiace after he missed three repayments on the van, totaling €843.
Asset Recovery Agent Aidan Faulkner, a retired Defense Forces officer, is charged with trespassing on the property of Patrick Ruane and head-butting Ruane after Ruane tried to remove him from the property. The attack left Ruane with a broken nose, split his lip and loosened some of his teeth.
Cases of such attacks are reported to be common in Mayo and one area expert has said there is a ‘huge volume’ of cases of banks sending debt recovery agents to seize assets on their behalf, often with just three monthly payments outstanding. Meanwhile a Mayo councilor spoke about how he has encountered suicide cases arising out of difficulties with financial institutions.
A Garda superintendent lambasted ACC Bank for their ‘haphazard and unprofessional’ conduct in the Faulkner-Ruane episode while, when challenged by a district court judge, an ACC official conceded that they had no right to try to seize the vehicle on the day in question.
Faulkner appeared before Castlebar District Court last week charged with assault and trespassing. Judge Mary Devins said that the prosecution had proven both charges but postponed her decision to a later date.
(Source: The Mayo News)
The body of missing Wilkinstown, Navan, resident Garvan (Robert) Milligan has been found in Roscommon, gardaí said last Wednesday 13th July.
Mr Milligan (35) went missing on 15th November of last year, and was last seen in a Longwood pub and captured on CCTV in a nearby shop.
Mr Milligan was a native of Carrigans, Co Donegal, and had been living in Wilkinstown for four years.
It is thought that a mobile mast picked up Mr Milligan's signal shortly after his disappearance.
Mr Milligan, who was living with his sister at the time of his disappearance, worked at the Department of Agriculture in Duleek, where he was an official.
The tragic news is a devastating blow to Mr Milligan's family, mother and sisters, Andrena and Aisling, who made numerous appeals to the public for information over the past eight months, and were aided in searches by Meath River Rescue, An Garda Síochána and concerned volunteers.
Post-mortem tests confirmed Mr Milligan's identity and gardaí have informed his family and say they are not treating his death as suspicious.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)
A pedestrian died after being struck by a car in Co Monaghan last Wednesday night. The incident happened on the R183 Castleblayney to Ballybay road at about 11.40pm at Killycrum, Castleblayney.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: