\"\"

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

\"\"

Arthur Cox, Vodafone’s solicitors, has already warned the CWU about alleged trademark infringement after the union used the company’s logo online as part of its campaign.

About 45 of the 130 affected workers are Vodafone employees and will be offered redundancy or redeployment. The CWU is protesting the fact that the remaining staff – the bulk of which are from Dundalk – who work for third-party service provider Rigney Dolphin, are not being accommodated by Vodafone.

“Vodafone is seeking to deny its obligations to workers at Rigney Dolphin who have been a loyal and integral part of the Vodafone customer care service,” said Terry Delany, CWU’s deputy secretary general.
(Source: Dundalk Democrat)

Mayo

Swedish furniture giant, Ikea, last week secured High Court permission to serve injunction proceedings on a Westport delivery company that has used its logo in advertisements. 

Inter Ikea Systems BV is seeking the injunction against Fintan Conlon and Owner Driver Co Ltd with an address at Rosmoney, Westport.

Mr Justice Roderick Murphy gave permission to Ikea to serve proceedings at short notice on Mr Conlon and the company, and made the matter returnable to last week. The application was made on a one-side only basis.

Counsel for Ikea, Ms Niamh Hyland told the court that her client’s trademark was being used in advertisements in two Mayo newspapers as well as on the company’s website and on a van. She revealed that Ikea was sent a photo of the van, showing the advertisement, from an anonymous source.
The court also heard that Ikea had previously engaged in correspondence over the alleged infringement of the trademark and this matter appeared to have been satisfactorily resolved.
(Source: The Mayo News)

Meath

Long-standing bad blood between two Traveller families, the McDonaghs and Nevins, reared its head again last week when, last Wednesday night, a grenade exploded at a house in Reask Green, apparently in revenge for an earlier beating of a man who had to be hospitalised.

At around 2pm last Wednesday, a member of one family in his 20s was involved in a confrontation on the Commons Road. The man and a family member got out of the van he was driving and got into a fight with two members of the rival family.

The driver of the van was beaten so badly, he had to be hospitalised with what is believed to be a broken arm, head wounds and other arm and leg injuries.

A group of around 20 people congregated at the scene of the melee and several weapons were produced. The three other men were also hospitalised in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda, with various injuries and range in age from 17 to early 40s. Two members of each family were hospitalised and the van also sustained damage, including a hammered-in windscreen.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)

Monaghan

Future civil cases against Omagh bomb suspects should be financially backed by the Government, victims' families have demanded.

Bereaved relatives embroiled in a 12-year battle for justice made the calls after the Appeal Court last week directed a civil retrial against one of four suspects for the 1998 Real IRA atrocity, Colm Murphy from Dundalk, Co Louth.

The court also ruled it will hear arguments on a possible retrial of a second suspect, Seamus Daly, from Cullaville, Co Monaghan, in September.

Victims' families have now called for financial support from the Government to pay for possibly two civil cases.

In 2008, campaigners raised £1.2m to fund the landmark civil action against the people suspected of causing the Real IRA bombing - Real IRA leader Michael McKevitt and three other men - Liam Campbell, Murphy and Daly.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)

Offaly

Traffic was halted, road works stopped and people stood still and were silent, as the military funeral of Gunner Nigel Costello made its way through the streets of Tullamore last Wednesday.

The 26 year old died following an accident as he was driving home from work in Mullingar on Saturday June 25.

His comrades formed a guard of honor as the band of the 4th Western Brigade led the funeral procession through the town to the graveyard.

The remains were carried on a gun carriage along the streets, with a very large procession of mourners behind.

The Church of the Assumption in Tullamore had people standing in the aisles as well as outside as they gathered to pay their respects to Gunner Costello’s family and Fiance.

Among those in attendance were Acting Brigade Commander Col Gerald Ahern and Officer Commanding 4th Field Artillery Regiment Lt Col Ray Yorke.
(Source: Offaly Express)

Roscommon

Unions at Roscommon County Hospital have agreed to operate a new urgent care centre to replace the emergency department.

The announcement was made after they met with Health Service Executive management last week.
The planned urgent care unit and medical assessment unit will replace the facility from 8am-8pm.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

For Newsletter Subscribers – Draw for 1 Prize on December 31st.

Prize: Your Piece of Ireland – a Square of Land in the heart of the Glens of Antrim, Ireland

More details here (or you can buy a little piece of Ireland directly): http://bit.ly/1zew9ox

Terms & Conditions

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: