\"\"

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

\"\"

Antrim

A suspicious device discovered near the offices of the Andersonstown News in Belfast on Saturday was declared a hoax. An object was found in the grounds of the newspaper on Glen Road in the  west of the city at around 9.00 a.m. on Saturday. Army bomb officers examined the device and it was declared a hoax. Police said Glen Road, Suffolk Road and Hannahstown Hill have now been reopened. A separate security alert in Carnlough, County Antrim has also ended.
Police received a phonecall just after 8 a.m. on Saturday claiming two devices had been left on the Croft Road. A search was carried out and nothing suspicious was found.
(Source: BBC News)

Armagh

Three men were charged in connection with the discovery of firearms and ammunition in Keady, Co Armagh, last week.  The three are: 34-year-old Brian Sheridan, with an address at Avonmore, Blackwater town, Co Armagh, Brian Cavlan, 35, with an address at Circular Road, Dungannon, Co Tyrone, and 39-year-old Dominic Dynes from Bree, Castleblayney, Co Monaghan.

The three men are charged with possession of firearms with intent to endanger life, preparation for committing acts of terrorism and possession of articles likely to be of use to terrorists.

Detective Sergeant Ronnie Gibson told Newry Magistrates' Court he could connect the accused to the charges. He said Mr Dynes replied when charged that 'he was told to bury the weapons found in the car that he was driving and he had no intent to use them at any time to shoot or kill anybody, carry out any robbery or any show of strength.' The other defendants made similar statements. No application for bail was made and all three have been remanded in custody to appear in court in Armagh on 17 May.
(Source: RTE.ie)

Carlow

The Killerig Resort, a highend hotel and golf development near Tullow in Co Carlow, has gone into receivership with multimillion-euro debts. Aiden Murphy, a partner in accountancy firm Horwath Bastow Charleton, was appointed receiver last week and has appointed a new operating company, Westpro Management Solutions, to run the 42bedroom, four-star hotel. David Hennessy, founder of Westpro, said that the Killerig hotel was ‘‘a victim of circumstance’’, but had a strong pipeline of bookings. ‘‘It is business as usual for our customers and staff. It is a good product in a good location," he said.
(Source: Sunday Business Post)

Cavan

Sinn Fein’s Kathryn Reilly (22) from Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan, is understood to be the youngest candidate ever elected to the Seanad. Ms Reilly was returned to the Industrial and Commercial panel after a marathon count which ended last week. She had contested the general election in the Cavan-Monaghan constituency, securing an impressive 6,539 first preferences.
In the Seanad campaign, she had the imprimatur of party headquarters and concentrated her canvass in her native county, the west and Donegal. “I am not sure I could say I enjoyed the Seanad campaign,” she said. “Contesting a general election and the Seanad is quite stressful. My Seanad vote was different from what I had been promised on the campaign trail.”
(Source: Irish Times)

Clare

It didn’t take Clare card sharp Niall Smyth long to drop his poker face after scooping a cool €650,000 at the Paddy Power Irish Poker Open last week. The delighted 26-year-old from Ballyea celebrated with family and friends in Dublin last week after managing to turn a €20 Grand National bet into the massive poker jackpot.?“I just can’t believe it, I’m just getting used to it really, this is all just very surreal. I never thought I would win this, when you’re playing in a big tournament there is always a little hope there that you could end up winning but I never dreamed of this, it’s just amazing,” he told The Clare Champion,?
(Source: The Clare Champion)

Cork

Gardai (police) in Cork arrested two men last week after discovering drugs worth an estimated €15,000?at a house in the city on Tuesday night.?The discovery of the quantity of cannabis plants was made at a house in Lower Fairhill, on Cork’s northside.?Two men have been arrested and are being questioned by Gardaí in the city.
Source: (Cork Independent)

Derry

The latest hoax bomb alert in Derry was another bid to lure police into danger, a senior PSNI officer has said. Homes in the Dunluce Court area of Ballymagroarty were evacuated for a time on Wednesday after a suspicious package was discovered. It’s believed about 100 people had to be moved from their homes. Two people were arrested after police were attacked at the scene of the bomb alert. The pair were arrested after allegedly trying to breach a cordon. PSNI Area Commander, Chief Inspector John Burrows, said those responsible for the disruption had “no part to play in our community. Over the last number of weeks, we have seen an increase in the number of hoax calls here in the city - most turned out to be false and we believe it was a deliberate attempt to draw police in to the area,” he said.
(Source: Derry Journal)

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: