Hundreds of mourners packed out First Antrim Presbyterian Church last week to remember Lyn Coburn, whose life was tragically cut short on Mother's Day, April 4.?Lyn (53), who was originally from Antrim, died during a violent incident at her home in Connor on April 3. Her son John was subsequently arrested and charged with her murder and remains on remand.?Despite the injuries he sustained in the terrible incident which claimed his mother's life, Lyn's youngest son Andrew stood side by side with her partner Ken at the entrance to the church.?Andrew suffered stab wounds to his stomach during the tragic altercation and he moved stiffly as mourners embraced him. Several cuts were also easily visible on his shaven head.
(Source: Antrim Guardian)
A 14-year-old boy has been arrested in relation to a series of security alerts that wreaked havoc in a Co Armagh town. Detectives investigating a spate of hoax suspicious objects in Lurgan were questioning the teenager in custody last Friday. There have been more than 10 security alerts in the past few week across Northern Ireland — four of which have been in the Lurgan area. All of the alerts in Lurgan turned out to be hoaxes, but caused considerable disruption. The alert last week led to a number of people having to leave their homes, and St Francis' Primary School and St Paul's Junior High School were closed.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)
A Crettyard cop has found himself at the centre of a huge manhunt in New York.??Richard Dormer, whose family still live in Crettyard, is heading up a mammoth investigation of a murder spree that has paralyzed New York. There are fears that a ‘Jack the Ripper’-style killer is on the loose after the bodies of eight prostitutes were found in scrub land in the Long Island area. ??Dormer, a Crettyard native, is the Suffolk County Police Commissioner and has found himself at the helm of the investigation.?Despite leaving Crettyard in 1958, the police commissioner’s family all still live in the area. Speaking to The Nationalist said he left school at an early age and went to work in a local mine. ?He also played one game of football for his county at senior level before emigrating to America on 25 March 1958.
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)
A pensioner who caused criminal damage to the property of a neighbor was warned by Judge Sean MacBride at Cavan District Court that if he persisted in his behavior or threatened the injured parties in any way he would serve time in prison.
Larry Cunningham (74), Renaghan, Abbeylara, was sentenced to six months imprisonment suspended for two years by Judge MacBride for causing criminal damage to the property of Michael and Carmel McBreen at Cloncovid, Kilcogy, on June 3, 2009. Charges of causing criminal damage on other dates were taken into account.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)
History enthusiasts the world over now have handheld access to Clare’s heritage sites thanks to an interactive application launched this week. ?Clare County Council’s heritage information booklet has been converted into a free, downloadable iPhone/iPad application (app) for visitors to early Christian, medieval and Celtic ecclesiastical buildings in Clare.?The booklet Rian na Manach (Pathway of the Monks) – A Guided Tour of Ecclesiastical Treasures in County Clare was originally launched in early 2007 after an audit of more than 80 early Christian, medieval and Celtic ecclesiastical buildings. Many of the buildings included in the book are supported by text and photographs, whilst others are included only as mapped reference points.
(Source: The Clare Champion)
The Cork Business Association (CBA) is welcoming the visit of the Queen and her husband Prince Philip to Cork saying that it will be a positive boost to the city’s tourism sector. “It will be a significant positive multi-euro tourism boost to our local economy not just at the time of the visit but longterm in years to come,” said CBA CEO, Donal Healy. “The international media and television coverage which the historic visit will attract will showcase and promote not only Cork city but the south west region to a worldwide audience.”
(Source: Cork Independent)
A 22-year-old man allegedly posed as a model’s agent and tried to get teenage girls to pose naked for him. Scott Joseph Tootill, of Meadowvale Park, Limavady, appeared at the local magistrates court charged with five counts of inciting a child to be involved in pornography between March 17 and April 14. He is further charged with arranging or facilitating the commission of a sex offence against a child. An investigating officer said police believed that Tootill set up a website and posed as a model’s agent called Sandra Green. He then allegedly used a social networking site to contact girls between 13 and 15 in the Limavady area and claimed he was a photographer working for the agency.
(Source: Derry Journal)
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: