\"News

News from the 32

News from around the 32 counties of Ireland

\"News

News from the 32

Antrim

A former Director of the Hospital Trust which operates Muckamore Abbey fears that the pedophile brothers who preyed on their community for decades are Antrim bound.

James (61) and Owen-Roe McDermott (52) sexually abused children during a 30-year reign of terror in their native County Fermanagh.

They hit the headlines in June when they voluntarily admitted themselves to Lakeview Hospital in Londonderry after they were deemed too mentally ill to stand trial for the catalogue of abuse.

(Source:Antrim Guardian)

Armagh

Two men with firearms entered the bank at Cardinal O'Fiaich Square at about 1015 BST.

One of the robbers approached a staff member carrying out a cash in transit delivery and took a box. He then demanded cash from a teller.

The robbers made off in a blue Vectra car. It is believed the robbers escaped with a substantial sum of money.

Police have appealed for anyone with information to contact them.

(Source: BBC News)

Carlow

Furious homeowners in Carlow have slammed the town council for allowing road works to take place in a residential area after 2am.

Gardaí were called last Tuesday night after people became infuriated by work on the new Palatine Road roundabout at SuperValu and the Sandhills housing estate.

A resident from the nearby Willows estate claims he and his family, including five young children, were woken in the early hours of the morning to the sound of construction work.

“They started at 10pm and went right on until 2.45am; it was unbelievable. The vibrations from the road roller went through our house. Who in God’s name gave them permission to work at that hour of the night?” he asked.

(Source:Carlow Nationalist)

Cavan

Retailers in County Cavan are reporting an increase in consumer spending in recent times of between five and ten per cent. And with the All-Ireland Fleadh Cheoil to be staged in the county next week - with an estimated spin off to the economy of €25m - things are really looking up.

The renewed optimism comes as figures released in the past week show that retail spending nationally in May was up by an average 3.5%, compared to May 2009.

The increases recorded were even greater in the Border region, which had been hammered in recent years by the recession, weak sterling and cross-border shopping. However, it appears that the tide is now turning and business sources in Cavan town, Bailieboro, Belturbet and Ballyconnell all report an increase in consumer spend.

(Source:Anglo Celt)

Clare

 A twentytwo-year-old Ethiopian athlete living in Clare was attacked and left unconscious last Thursday after he was set upon as he was out running just outside Meelick.

Labeta Debela, well known in Clare for top performances at the Salty Faces 10km and Munster Novice Cross Country Championships, resides at the Knockalisheen Accommodation Centre and was set upon a short distance from the centre while on his way to meet with his Limerick athletics coach, Willie Lohan.

It is understood Mr Debela was set upon by two men and received blows to the head and face, rendering him unconscious for a period. An ambulance was called and he was treated at the Mid-Western Regional Hospital, Limerick but has since been released.
 

Paddy O’Connell with Limerick Athletics Club said there appeared to be no motive for the attack and claimed he was merely targeted “for the fun of it”.

(Source:Clare Champion)

Cork

Residents in three housing estates in Cobh, Co Cork will be without mains water for at least six months after high levels of lead were detected in their water supply.

Cork County Council say they cannot afford to replace the pipes until early next year and have installed temporary communal taps in the meantime.

The council says it is waiting on funds as part of the National Mains Rehabilitation Programme.

For the past two weeks residents in the older estates of Belmond Place, Park Terrace and Aileen's Terrace have had to use communal taps.

(Source:RTE.ie)

Derry

Almost three hundred people applied for a single job as a till operator at a filling station in Muff.

But, according to local businessman, Colm McKenna, who owns the filling station, the truly surprising aspect of this amazing response is that 'only about ten per cent of the applications were from people in the South'.

Speaking with the 'Journal' Mr. McKenna described himself as 'shocked' by the response.

(Source:Derry Journal)

Donegal

Organizers of Saturday's march against cuts to health services are calling on government to make health spending a priority, even as a Health Service Executive statement warns that more drastic cuts may be needed before the end of the year if steps are not taken now.

The coalition behind the protest are meeting this week to discuss the next steps for the campaign.

Thousands of people marched in the streets of Letterkenny on Saturday to protest proposed cuts to health services in the county, in the first of what organizers said will be a series of events in the coming months.

COMMENTS

Log in with your social accounts:

Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:

Forgot your password ?

Don't have an account yet? Register now !

Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:


Already have an account ?

Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


Make sure we gathered the correct information from you

By clicking above you are indicating that you have read & agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy.


You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.


Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: