Vice President Joe Biden attends party for new Congressman Patrick Murphy
Vice President Joe Biden stopped by a rooftop party in honor of new U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy near Washington DC on Thursday.
Just hours after the Florida congressman was officially sworn into office, Biden performed his own ceremonial swearing-in for Murphy, reports the TC Palm.
Murphy drew comparisons between himself and the vice president's early career.
"The fact that the vice president came by to do a ceremonial swearing in was sort of icing on the cake," the 29-year-old Murphy said. "He was the youngest senator, and I guess I am the youngest congressperson now. We're both, of course, Irish Catholic families."
Campaigning on bipartisanship, Murphy ousted former U.S. Rep. Allen West and attracted support against his opponent from former President Bill Clinton and former Florida Gov. Charlie Crist.
According to the TC Palm, the party was an "Irish family affair," with many of its 200-plus attendees named Murphy.
Florida's Democratic congressional leaders were also well-represented. Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Weston, Lois Frankel of West Palm Beach, and Ted Deutch of West Boca Raton all showed up to support the new District 18 congressman.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
IRELAND FOR THE IRISH !Lack of access to MI5 intelligence hindering garda 'mole' search
There will never be real peace until Mi5 & the british army leave Ireland !I want review of tests on gun that shot me, says IRA spy Martin McGartland
Don't worry they have a bullet for you !Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
That judge should come into the 21st century. Such an idiotic comment She should be a judge on the Rose of Tralee or Spain has got Talent!