'Stand Your Ground' law a disaster says former Miami top cop John Timoney
Warned in 2005 that Trayvon Martin type-killings would result after law passed
“Police officers are trained to de-escalate highly charged encounters with aggressive people, using deadly force as a last resort. Citizens, on the other hand, may act from emotion and perceived threats. But “stand your ground” gives citizens the right to use force in public if they feel threatened. As the law emphatically states, a citizen has “no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground.”
“Stand Your Ground” is a disaster Timoney stated.
“As Florida police chiefs predicted in 2005, the law has been used to justify killings ranging from drug dealers’ turf battles to road rage incidents. Homicides categorized as justifiable have nearly tripled since the law went into effect.”
He appealed for the governor to repeal it.
“Gov. Rick Scott of Florida can make all Floridians proud by being the first governor to reject and repeal such misguided laws.
15 - 55 | See all comments
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
Imagine the wee bairn whose father was a priest with bad blood and all, no hope of finding their roots.Families as well as Catholic Church and government to blame for illegal adoptions
An american friend of mine was adopted from Castlepollard in l955 at 2 years old. Hes tried several routes to get paperwork (came and visited for oneGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
The proper word for "SylviasDaddy" is "thundering asshat." He does it because he has lost the argument. We shouldn't discriminateA Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds no hatred for Irish nuns
It seems that if Mr. Cardosi had any compassion at all for his birth mother and what she went through, he would at least make a token effort to be &qu