Sen. Edward Kennedy receives Last Rites
Priest administers Sacrament at Kennedy's bedside
- News / A great Irish chieftain has passed / Click here
- News / Tributes pour in for the late Ted Kennedy / Click here
- News / Lion of the Senate is dead / Click here
- News / Undocumented Irish say farewell / Click here
- Multimedia / Videos and photos - Irish visit, immigration, The Kennedys/ Click here
- Comment / Senator Edward Kennedy - The lion in winter / Click here
- Comment / Niall O'Dowd - Why Teddy picked Obama / Click here
- Roots / The Irish Kennedys / Click here
- Roots/ Irish America magazine 1997 interview with Ted Kennedy / Click here
Sources close to the family have confirmed that Kennedy, deeply religious like all the Kennedys, has been anointed by a priest who administered the Sacrament to him at his bedside.
Receiving the Last Rites, however, does not mean that the Lion of the Senate's death is imminent.
Religious Catholics often receive the Sacrament before serious surgery and when their health is at serious risk.
- Once in wartime when he was famously injured on PT109;
- Once on the ocean liner Queen Mary in September 1947 which was bringing him home from London where he had been diagnosed with Addison disease and been hospitalized;
- Again when he suffered a severe infection that temporarily put him into a coma.
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...