Sen. Edward Kennedy receives Last Rites
Priest administers Sacrament at Kennedy's bedside
- News / A great Irish chieftain has passed / Click here
- News / Tributes pour in for the late Ted Kennedy / Click here
- News / Lion of the Senate is dead / Click here
- News / Undocumented Irish say farewell / Click here
- Multimedia / Videos and photos - Irish visit, immigration, The Kennedys/ Click here
- Comment / Senator Edward Kennedy - The lion in winter / Click here
- Comment / Niall O'Dowd - Why Teddy picked Obama / Click here
- Roots / The Irish Kennedys / Click here
- Roots/ Irish America magazine 1997 interview with Ted Kennedy / Click here
IrishCentral has learned that Sen. Edward Kennedy has received the Last Rites from the Catholic Church as he continues to battle a deadly brain cancer.
Sources close to the family have confirmed that Kennedy, deeply religious like all the Kennedys, has been anointed by a priest who administered the Sacrament to him at his bedside.
Receiving the Last Rites, however, does not mean that the Lion of the Senate's death is imminent.
Religious Catholics often receive the Sacrament before serious surgery and when their health is at serious risk.
For instance, Kennedy's brother, President John F. Kennedy, received Last Rites at least three times before his death at at the hands of an assassin in Texas in November 1963.
- Once in wartime when he was famously injured on PT109;
- Once on the ocean liner Queen Mary in September 1947 which was bringing him home from London where he had been diagnosed with Addison disease and been hospitalized;
- Again when he suffered a severe infection that temporarily put him into a coma.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
the bakery was will to sell them cupcakes, cookies and such....just NOT a wedding cake....he made a wedding cake for dogs....wonder if he made a cakeBaby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital as father calls for inquest
Terrible ordeal for the parents. Some people here need a reality check.... no-one can order a c-section. A c-section is considered a major operation &“An amplifier for the native voice” Glucksman Ireland House NYU reflects on 2013
Lew Glucksman, an extraordinarily benevolent and kind Jewish man, founded and funded Ireland house so it is right to name it after him. His wife, LoreAn open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
Mr. Conboy exhibits a poor grasp of the Pope's Exhortation. Did he read it all or just cherry pick? Seems like he was already squaring for a fight and