A staggering blow for Ireland
With his passing, Ireland and Irish America has lost its most important advocate
- Photos/ Ted Kennedy in Ireland / Click here
- News / A great Irish chieftain has passed / Click here
- News / Tributes pour in for the late Ted Kennedy / Click here
- News / Lion of the Senate is dead / Click here
- News / Undocumented Irish say farewell / Click here
- Multimedia / Videos and photos - Irish visit, immigration, The Kennedys/ Click here
- Comment / Senator Edward Kennedy - The lion in winter / Click here
- Comment / Niall O'Dowd - Why Teddy picked Obama / Click here
- Roots / The Irish Kennedys / Click here
- Roots/ Irish America magazine 1997 interview with Ted Kennedy / Click here
They were the Four Horsemen, the most powerful Irish lobby in American political history. They were Senator Edward Kennedy, House Speaker ‘Tip’ O’Neill Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan and New York governor Hugh Carey.
Back in the 1980s they practically ran America, and were a lobby group for Irish issues that the Irish government depended on heavily.
It helped that another Irishman Ronald Reagan, also partial to the old sod was in the White House. It got so cozy that a famous cartoon of the period shows Tip O’Neill and Reagan as two old Irish fishwives haggling over costs
O’Neill, Reagan and Moynihan are long gone, Carey is well retired and now Ted Kennedy, the lead horseman, has also faded into the shade.
With his passing, Ireland and Irish America has lost its most important advocate. For decades Ted Kennedy’s door had a welcome mat outside for any Irish politician large or small who wanted to visit Capitol Hill and speak with the most important man in the senate.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
WoubdedKnee - Well said. You do get to the point!Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Barry - Why do we seem to have more sympathy for the Irish? Because they are our own people!Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Barry you may wish to study this ... recent report from Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) ... six countries - Germany, FraSmithwick inquiry finds Irish police may have colluded in two IRA murders
INorth….Agree both were gross misuses of parliamentary privilege, but that’s not quite how the lawyer allegation happened…speaker