Jameson more popular than iPhones for shop lifters this Christmas
Irish Whiskey second only to filet mignon for holiday thieves
Jameson Irish Whiskey is the second most stolen item from stores in America according to Ad Week. It beats out the iPhone which is only fourth.
The top stolen item is filet mignon from the meat section and one in 11 Americans will shoplift this Christmas according to the magazine which interviewed store security professionals to compile the list.
The popularity of Jameson reflects the extraordinary rise in sales for the Irish whiskey.
It is not teenagers that are doing the stealing either says the survey. The average shoplifter is older and has a job.
"Seventy percent of shoplifters tell us they didn't plan to shoplift," Barbara Staib, spokesperson for the National Association of Shoplifting Prevention told Ad Week.
Shoplifting is up six percent since 2010. "Our shrinkage rate is the highest it's been in five years," says Michael C. Creedon, North American vp of retail sales for ADT Commercial Security, who stated, "The economic environment has led to stealing for need-based purposes."
Jameson whiskey is likely second on the list because it is a very popular drink at Christmas parties and other celebration events during the holiday season.
More US Crime stories on IrishCentral
Here's the rest of Adweek's list of most shoplifted items:
1. Filet Mignon
3. Electric Tools
4. iPhone 4
5. Gillette Mach 4 razors
6. Axe Body Spray
7. Polo Ralph Lauren designer apparel
8. Let's Rock Elmo toy
9. Chanel No. 5 fragrance
10. Nike shoes
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Ten best Irish lies — fabulous fibs that...
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Aussie outlaw Ned Kelly is the center of...