Irish lodge official complaint over Thierry Henry handball
FAI says FIFA ordered replay in disputed 2006 play-offs
- Watch / Thierry Henry Handball / Click here
- Niall O'Dowd/ Thierry will be French toast in New York /Click here
- Comment/ France should offer replay / Click here
- Kelly Fincham / Irish bookies refund bets in 'Hand of Frog' heartbreak / Click here
The Football Association of Ireland has lodged an official complaint with soccer's governing body FIFA over the controversial handball by Thierry Henry which dumped Ireland out of the play-offs for the 2010 World Cup.
And the FAI has cited precedent for the game to be replayed.
The play-off between Uzbekistan and Bahrain for the 2006 World Cup had to be replayed after FIFA said the referee had made a "technical error" after awarding a penalty
Now, the FAI hopes that FIFA will again award a replay.
"The handball was recognised by the FIFA commissioner, the referee observer and the match officials, as well as by the player himself,'' the FAI said.
Assistant Irish coach Liam Brady and Ireland's Justice Minister Dermot Ahern have both called for the game to replayed.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
As I said, "Green, white and orange would be perfect".Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Seanmor - Yes indeed.Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”
Miceal: one defintion of communism is socialism with a rejection of Jesus. I don't know if Mandela fit that bill, but I do know that Obama does.Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
It is quite apparent that many of the posts on this article strongly favor foreigners, legal and illegal, over the natives whose ancestors have lived