Irish Catholic Church child abuse 'scandal on astonishing scale,' says new report
- Niall O'Dowd / Report shows McQuaid and De Valera's grip on Ireland / Click here
- Video / TV report into shocking child and sex-abuse, cover-up by Irish Catholic Church / Click here
- News / Christian Brothers to pay $250M to abuse victims / Click here
- Photo gallery / 10,000 Dubliners in silent November protest against Church abuse / Click here
A shocking and explosive report into child and sexual abuse in the Dublin Archdiocese today slammed the Catholic Church hierarchy for covering up the horrors.
Investigators revealed how Church and state authorities handled allegations of child abuse against nearly fifth priests. It found that the Church placed its own reputation above the protection of children in its care.
It also said that state authorities actually aided the cover-up by allowing the Church to operate outside the law.
Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said "no words of apology would ever be sufficient" and offered "to each and every survivor, my apology, my sorrow and my shame for what happened to them".
He added that the "many good priests of the Archdiocese" shared his sense of shame.
The "Report of the Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin" covered a period from 1975 to 2004.
It exposed a culture of concealment where Church leaders prioritized the protection of their own institution above that of vulnerable children in their care.
The report said the avoidance of public outrage, which would inevitably follow high-profile prosecutions, appeared more important than preventing abusers from repeating their crimes.
Instead of reporting the allegations to civic authorities, those accused of horrific crimes were systematically shuffled from parish to parish where they could prey on new, unsuspecting victims.
The report stated: "The Dublin archdiocese's pre-occupations in dealing with cases of child sexual abuse, at least until the mid 1990s, were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the Church, and the preservation of its assets."
It also said that the archdiocese "did its best to avoid any application of the law of the state".
It found that four archbishops — John Charles McQuaid who died in 1973, Dermot Ryan who died in 1984, Kevin McNamara who died in 1987, and retired Cardinal Desmond Connell — did not hand over information on abusers.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Bono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all...
"surnames such as O'Connor, Flynn, Egan, Hynes, O'Reilly and Quinn– have the same genetic signature as Niall of the Nine Hostages, BradleyVirginia governor slammed by doctor over plain cigarette pack rejection
The Virginia Governor should mind his own business...oops, I forgot he 's bought and paid for by the tobacco industry that's still sore because they'vIrish drugs mule to escape full trial and benefit from early release in Peru
Oh dear, I wish these girls knew the power of Mr. Sniffy. There is no hiding drugs from an airport dog.Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
The figure I saw in the online Irish "Independent" newspaper a week or two back was that 40.000 foreign migrants had arrived in Ireland with