Bob Geldof in hot water over 'lovely legs' comment to Irish politician
Audience gasps as Irish rock star tells Mary Coughlan she has great gams
- News / Ireland plans to act promptly on global advice / Click here
- News / Craig Barrett shows Intel-ligence Ireland needs / Click here
- News / Ireland needs resolute action now / Click here
- Niall O'Dowd / Incredible intellectual firepower in Dublin for conference / Click here
Controversial rock star Bob Geldof infuriated female delegates at the Global Irish Forum in Dublin Saturday when he told deputy Prime Minister Mary Coughlan that she had lovely legs.
"That was a blatantly sexist remark about a woman who is doing a professional job at the very highest level."
Another woman said she wasn't surprised at the sexist remark given that only 10 percent of the delegates were women. "We've still got a long way to go," she said.
CNN anchor Fionnula Sweeney, who led the panel discussion, looked nonplussed by the remark and asked for another comment even though Geldof was supposed to be the last speaker.
In fairness to Geldof, Coughlan was 20th in a "Lovely Legs List" compiled by the Irish Social and Personal magazine last year.
However, Geldof took the furor in stride.
It's nothing new for Geldof to be upsetting people. Some of the people at the Forum still haven't forgiven him for calling Ireland a "banana republic" in the 1980s.
Speaking to the Irish Independent on Saturday, he said: "I got in yesterday and my sister was waiting for me, and we were sitting at a café at the airport, and there was this guy at the table and he said 'Is it still a banana republic, Bob?' and I said, 'Jaysus, more than ever."
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
yes, a male hetero makes a career of baking cakes and then gives shade to a gay couple wanting him to bake them a cake for their ceremony. That's ricNew evidence emerges on death of Irish hero Michael Collins in IRA ambush - VIDEO
was a scene in the film " the treaty" where Brendan Gleason as collins said that although we werent going to be a great power,we could makeNelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning its arms during 2000 talks
Mandela would have sold his Soul to have kept the support of the Western Media. The Republican Irish were not fighting Racist Apartheid; They were wagGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
Lol, check out the comments below. The rural culchies and donkeys are getting their panties in a bunch over this. Bocktherobber takes the cake though,