date of birth: April 24, 1951
place of birth: Castlebar, Mayo
Kenny is an Irish politician and Taoiseach (Prime Minister) of Ireland.
Kenny studied at the National University Of Ireland, Galway and spent four years working as a teacher. Following the death of his father, who was a long standing member of the Dail (Parliament), Kenny won the election for his father’s former seat in 1975.
He was the youngest member of the Dail at the age of 24 and he spent much of his early political career working on Mayo’s local issues. In 1994 he was appointed Minister of Tourism and Trade and held this position until 1997.
After the 2002 election, Kenny was elected party leader of Fine Gael and set about revitalizing the party.
Kenny was Vice-President of Fine Gael’s European affiliate, the European People’s Party between 2006 and 2012.
After the banking crisis and bailout, Taoiseach Brian Cowen’s coalition fell apart and early elections were held in February of 2011. Fine Gael won more than 70 seats and after forming a coalition with the Labour Party, Kenny was elected Taoiseach on March 9, 2011.
He has three children with his wife, Fionnuala O’Kelly.
Enda KennyLatest News
- Taoiseach Enda Kenny in Boston for Boston College commencement
- Enda Kenny visits Boston marathon bombing site, defends Boston College visit
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks for the Irish nation and its Diaspora
- Irish PM Enda Kenny praises Bostonians and their courage in speech at JFK Memorial dinner
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims that new abortion law gives less rights to unborn - VIDEO
- Irish PM Enda Kenny pays tribute to our own ‘green man’ as Chris Hadfield returns from Space
- Cardinal O’Malley’s grave mistake in boycotting Enda Kenny’s Boston College speech
- Cardinal Sean O’Malley reneged on Boston College commencement deal say Irish sources - Irish government said to be furious over statement condemning Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny
- Boston’s Cardinal O’Malley insults Irish in boycotting Irish leader Enda Kenny - Anger over cardinal’s move over abortion will win Kenny huge support in Ireland
- Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley to boycott Enda Kenny visit in abortion row
- Boston College defends choosing Irish PM Enda Kenny after criticism from Catholic group
- Irish professor fighting for the 'right to die' slammed Enda Kenny and Irish judiciary system
- Enda Kenny reminds Church that Ireland is governed by the constitution and the people
- U.S. anti-abortion groups demand Enda Kenny be disinvited as Boston College commencement speaker
- Enda Kenny believes historic abortion legislation will soon be passed by Irish government
- Prime Minister Enda Kenny rules out abortion referendum in Ireland
- Irish PM Enda Kenny named as 2013 commencement speaker at Boston College
- Irish leader Enda Kenny's St. Patrick's Day United States trip cost $127,000
- Enda Kenny raises immigration reform with Joe Biden - confident of summer legislation
- President Obama vows to return to Ireland for state visit says Enda Kenny
- Irish leader Enda Kenny makes historic visit to New York's Freedom Tower - VIDEO
- Irish leader Enda Kenny to discuss undocumented Irish with President Obama and on Capitol Hill
- A St. Patrick’s gift from the Irish nation to Breezy Point after Sandy - Irish leader Enda Kenny visits as embattled community fights back
- Rockaway heroics highlighted by Irish leader Enda Kenny in New York - St. Patrick’s tribute to Irish American community after Superstorm Sandy struck
Latest Gossip Stories
- ‘Bridesmaids’ star Melissa McCarthy got an extra fired on the set of ‘Tammy’...
- Mark Wahlberg isn't ready to tell his kids about his troubled past...
- Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson have never been closer...
- Colin Farrell's a sensitive soul - takes harsh criticism personally...
- Peaches Geldof wanted to follow in her family's footsteps by giving her son a "ridiculous"...
- Ed Sheeran's phone bill reached £5,000 while supporting Taylor Swift in the US...
Top #NewYork Stories
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.