WWE 'Celtic Warrior' Sheamus wants championship belt for Christmas
'I want to be the first Irishman to become WWE champion, and I will'
- Sean O'Shea column / Why Sheamus will take WWE title / Click here
- Video / Ireland-born wrestler Sheamus takes on Jamie Noble / Click here
- Video / WWE's Finlay sings 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling' / Click here
What's the only thing Irish World Wrestling Entertainment superstar Sheamus wants for Christmas?
The coveted WWE championship belt, of course — but he’s not relying on Santa to bring it down the chimney.
Dublin-born Sheamus is hell-bent on winning his gift on Sunday on the WWE pay-per-view event "Tables, Ladders and Chairs" (TLC), where he’ll take on reigning title holder and fan favorite John Cena in a table match in which the winner will be declared after slamming his opponent through a rock-hard table.
Cena, says an ultra-confident Sheamus, doesn’t stand a chance.
“There’s no doubt in my mind that I’m going to walk out of TLC as WWE champion,” Sheamus boasted during an interview with the Irish Voice on Monday.
“I’m ready. I want to make history. I want to be the first Irishman to become WWE champion — and I will.”
What makes this 31-year-old former actor, bodyguard and information technology expert from Dublin City so sure he’ll dethrone the popular Cena, a seven-time WWE champ who has proven his toughness in the ring time and time again?
Sheamus easily manhandled Cena a couple of weeks ago during WWE’s flagship "Monday Night Raw," scooping up the former college football star and flinging him through a table, with a stunned WWE legend and governor of Minnesota, Jesse Ventura, looking on.
Cena was also humiliated by the Irish newcomer on last Monday’s "Raw" when Sheamus delivered a couple of swift kicks that knocked Cena out cold during a joint ring appearance moderated by guest host Mark Cuban, the outspoken, petite owner of the Dallas Mavericks (and former "Dancing With the Stars" contestant), who took it upon himself to sucker-punch Sheamus to the ground — only to be tossed through a nearby table as punishment once the Celtic Warrior recovered.
Sheamus is mad, and he has no problem admitting that he’s also quite bad.
“I’m going to put Cena through a table. I’ve already done it once and I’m gonna do it again,” he says.
“All the time I’ve been with WWE, I’ve been making statements, you know what I mean? I retired Jamie Noble. The fella can’t even walk properly. I’m not a nice guy!”
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...