It’s almost summer time and thoughts turn to the Emerald Isle once again. Here are our top ten reasons to love/hate the Irish summer.
By James O’Shea
1. You have no idea what is going to happen with the weather, rain storms, hail showers one minute, warm, wonderful sun the next.
2. Seeing all that pasty skin when the sun does emerge can cause temporary blindness.
3. Irish ice creams, especially the 99s, vanilla ice cream cone with a Cadbury flake – delicious.
4. Seeing all the old timers at the GAA games knotting their hankies on their head if the sun dares to emerge.
5. In the old days! Mystery tours where you and your family jumped on a CIE bus with destination unknown (hint—the seaside).
6. Rock concerts! The big acts all come to Ireland for Electric Picnic, Slane Castle, et cetera.
7. Summer carnivals in each little town, with dodgems (OK - bumper cars), chair-o-planes, etc. All the fun of the fair.
8. Summer schools – lots of great topics of the day along with enough hot air to warm up the coldest summer.
9. Long days, bright until 11pm at its height, summer days can be magic.
10. Americans everywhere.
Like the swallows they return to their roots every year, brightening up the economy and the local landscapes.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: