From six-bed mansions on the Ring of Kerry to unused sites in Leitrim, the Irish property market still has some big surprises in store and some seriously cheap houses that could just be your new dream vacation home.
Slowly recovering from the bust of the last recession, house prices in Ireland have climbed steadily. Last year there was a slight drop in the number of house sales in Ireland, mainly due to new mortgage rules (which will be reviewed this summer), which see buyers having to scrap together 20 percent of their house-price to get a mortgage. Prices are also being affected around major towns as there is a lack of houses and apartments.
All that aside there are plenty of finds on the Irish property market right now. From a one-acre site in Mullinadarragh, Carrigallen, County Leitrim, with planning permission for a four-bed house, for just $20,700 (€19k). Of course you could go for the six-bedroom house on the Mermaid Isle, Illaundrane, Sneem, County Kerry for $3,216,761(€2,950,000). Whatever takes your fancy or fits your budget it’s certainly true to say there’s something for everyone.
Here we compiled a list of four of the cheapest homes on the market from around the country.
Where? Kilmacthomas, County Waterford
How much? $32,165 (€29,500)
What? One bedroom apartment
- Secure allocated car parking
- Ready to occupy
- Commuting distance to Waterford City and Dungarvan Town
- Includes entrance hallway, hotpress, livingroom/kitchen/diner, built in washing machine.
About the town:
Kilmacthomas, is located on the east bank of the River Mahon, in County Waters. The town, with a population of some 1,768, is located between Waterford City and Dungarvan. To the west of village are the Comeragh Mountains and five miles south is the Copper Coast, including the Bonmahon. The chief tourist attraction in the area are the Mahon waterfalls.
Where? Tournafulla Village, County Limerick
How much? $37,200 (€34,000)
What? Detached three-bedroom house
- Cottage set on a plot of c. 1 acre
- Within walking distance of the village’s amenities
- Requires some refurbishment
- Newly refurbished electrical and plumbing systems
- House includes entrance porch, lounge/living/dining area, kitchenette, 3 bedrooms (2 doubles, 1 compact double/twin) and a bathroom
- Outdoors on property includes two buildings (5m x 3m and 3m x 3m).
About the town: Located in the southwest of Limerick Tournafulla is a long, single-street, village. It comprises of a Catholic church, a primary school, three pubs, a community hall and a GAA pitch. The village is located 34 miles outside Limerick City.
Where? Cornakelly, Moyne, County Longford
How much? $43,600 (€40k)
What? Four-bedroom, detached house with two bathrooms
- Overall floor area of 163 square meters (1,755 square feet)
- Property is in need of extensive refurbishment due to fire damage
- Located on a 0.75-acre site four miles north of Drumlish village
- Property comprise of an entrance hall, study/5th bedroom, kitchen/dining area, utility with separate WC, sitting room with open fire place on the ground floor and 4 bedrooms (1 en-suite) and family bathroom on the first floor.
About the town: Moyne is a small but lively town in north Longford. The area is dotted with lake, along the borders of Leitrim and Cavan. It’s also renowned as an excellent angling destination.
3 Pallister House
Where? Killaloe, County Clare
How much? $49,000 (€45,000)
What? Two-bedroom apartment
- For sale at auction
- Property is adjacent to Lough Derg and convenient for all local amenities
- Ready for immediate occupation
About the town: Killaloe is a large village in east County Clare, on the River Shannon, the western bank of Lough Derg. It is connected by Killaloe Bridge to the "twin town" of Ballina on the eastern bank of the lake. The surrounding area is popular for hill-walking.
For more information click here.