Preliminary Ireland rugby squad for the World Cup announced
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 at 07:52 AM
- We've moved to The Sports Central
- Avery Bradley's stuttering start to Boston Celtics career is no more
- New England Patriots - a case for keeping Brandon Lloyd
- Tom Brady's contract extension puts pressure on New England Patriots to perform in short-term
- Jeff Green's approach epitomizes Boston Celtics Post-Rajon Rondo
Ireland today announced their squad for the warm up matches to this year's world cup in New Zealand. Ireland will face Scotland, France (home and away), Connacht and England ahead f the competition later this year.
The biggest name to miss out is Shane Horgan. Horgan's chances at representing his country one last time in the world cup were dashed by a knee injury that requires surgery. He will miss all of the warm up games and as such won't be selected for the competition itself.
His teammate Rob Kearney has returned to the squad however after missing most of the season for Leinster. This will come as a huge boost for the team as both he and Geordan Murphy return to solve what was somewhat of a problem fullback position in the Six Nations.
Felix Jones, Mike McCarthy, Conor Murray and Brett Wilkinson are the only uncapped players among the 43. Jones is the most likely to make the plane to New Zealand while Murray could force his way there but will need to beat out one of Peter Stringer, Tomas O'Leary or Eoin Reddan.
Backs: I Boss (Leinster), T Bowe (Ospreys), G D'Arcy (Leinster), G Duffy (Connacht), K Earls (Munster), L Fitzgerald (Leinster), F Jones (Munster), R Kearney (Leinster), F McFadden (Leinster), G Murphy (Leicester), C Murray (Munster), B O'Driscoll (Leinster), R O'Gara (Munster), T O'Leary (Munster), E Reddan (Leinster), J Sexton (Leinster), P Stringer (Munster), A Trimble (Ulster), P Wallace (Ulster).
Forwards: R Best (Ulster), T Buckley (Sale Sharks), T Court (Ulster), S Cronin (Leinster), L Cullen (Leinster), S Ferris (Ulster), J Flannery (Munster), J Hayes (Munster), C Healy (Leinster), J Heaslip (Leinster), M Horan (Munster), S Jennings (Leinster), D Leamy (Munster), M McCarthy (Connacht), K McLaughlin (Leinster), S O'Brien (Leinster), D O'Callaghan (Munster), P O'Connell (Munster), M O'Driscoll (Munster), M Ross (Leinster), D Ryan (Munster), D Varley (Munster), D Wallace (Munster), B Wilkinson (Connacht).
Be the first to make a comment.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...