Marcus Stroud signs for the New England Patriots
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2011 at 09:33 AM
- We've moved to The Sports Central
- Avery Bradley's stuttering start to Boston Celtics career is no more
- New England Patriots - a case for keeping Brandon Lloyd
- Tom Brady's contract extension puts pressure on New England Patriots to perform in short-term
- Jeff Green's approach epitomizes Boston Celtics Post-Rajon Rondo
The recent reports that Marcus Stroud has signed with the New England Patriots are initially perplexing but make more sense the more you dig into them.
Stroud was a reliable player for most of his career in Buffalo playing as a 4-3 defensive tackle but struggled when the Bills transitioned to a 3-4 defense.
Coupled with the fact that he is 32 years of age, the Bills are in a rebuilding process, he was subsequently released from the team.
His three years in Buffalo were underwhelming as he for the most part played on a poor defense. The lack of talent and problems with converting a young defense into a new scheme may have contributed to his overall downturn in play last season because his talent is unquestioned.
He is a typical Belichick signing; a veteran that has never won a Superbowl who will fill a role. Arriving at an organization with a winning mentality and new surroundings could revitalize Stroud and turn him into another astute Belichick addition.
The two time all-pro selection has reportedly signed a 2 year deal with the Patriots who are in need of better defensive line play from last season. He will have the opportunity to start at defensive end alongside Vince Wilfork and, should he be fully healthy, Ty Warren.
The former Jaguars first round pick brings a big body but more importantly an experienced head. Experience was lacking during last season from the Patriots young defense and a respected player like Stroud will lift the burden from Vince Wilfork and Jerod Mayo as far as leadership goes.
Be the first to make a comment.
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...
- Do the Irish speak a foreign language?
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...