Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Paul the octopus oracle deserts Germany for England
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
- Goldencents can lead all the way for Doug O’Neill in Kentucky Derby - Lines of Battle, Irish horse looks outclassed in Run for the Roses
- Why Ireland’s Rory McIlroy can defeat Tiger Woods at the 2013 Masters - Comeback kid proves in Texas Open that he still has a unique talent
Paul the octopus who predicted the World Cup result has deserted his German hosts and gone back to his English roots.
Paul has been appointed an ambassador for England's bid for the World Cup in 2018.
He became famous by predicting world cup results, especially the Spain-Netherlands final from his aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany.
But Paul is actually an English native.
He was born at Weymouth Sea Life Center on England's south coast in 2008.
"Paul the Octopus is undoubtedly one of the biggest names in football," former England winger John Barnes said. "Huge numbers of people will follow Paul's lead and back the bid."
Paul has many imitators, the latest a saltwater crocodile named Dirty Harry, who predicted Spain's World Cup final win.
This week Dirty Harry predicted the Labor Party would win Australia's election.