Sean O'Shea by Sean O'Shea
Notre Dame's Brian Kelly picks Dayne Crist as starting quarterback for Fighting Irish
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:12 PM
- Is Rory McIlroy a spoiled brat and just an overgrown child? - Antics during the U.S. Open leave his maturity very much in question
- Was Notre Dame’s Everett Golson caught cheating at exams leading to suspension? Quarterback statement hints at major integrity issue and harsh punishment does also
- Orb should win Preakness easily, Oxbow up for second
- Could Celtic boss Neil Lennon be next manager at Manchester United? - His European exploits, especially defeating Barcelona may put him in frame
- Orb has what it takes to win Triple Crown in 2013 - Kentucky Derby winner has breeding, connections and talent
Dayne Crist will be Notre Dame's starting quarterback Coach Brian Kelly has announced.
The decision comes as no surprise as Crist was the starting quarterback last year until suffering a season ending injury.
He beat out Tommy Rees who , while not as obviously talented as Rees, found a way to win several close games.
"Dayne will be the starter and I expect him to be the starter for 13 weeks," Kelly said. "We have great confidence in his ability to lead us to a championship."
Crist ruptured his patella tendon against Tulsa -- his second year to end the season injured,
Rees took over and had four straight wins.
In the end however, Crist is far mor mobile and fits much better with a Kelly type offense.
However, Rees will be an invaluable and experienced back up --far from the scared freshman who was ushered into the Michigan game last season and immediately threw an interception after Crist was injured.