Irish surfers could fetch $65,000 for ball of whale puke
- New Irish stamp features Irish teen’s short story about Dublin
- The world’s smallest cinema fits into an old phone box in Malin, Donegal - VIDEO
- ‘Star Trek into Darkness’ stars Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto attempt to speak Irish - VIDEO
- Video of three-year-old Colombian boy 'celebrating' Mass becomes online hit
- Camera attached to spire records dazzling finale of One World Trade Center – VIDEO
| Alan Davey (38) and Brian Miller, both from Co Clare could earn big
with a ball of whale vomite (Photo: Star)
Irish News Blog
, Irish News
, Offbeat Irish
Two Irish surfers are hopeful they can cash in on a rare lump of whale vomit that could be worth up to 50,000 euro.
The Irish Daily Star reports that Alan Davey (38) and Brian Miller, both from Co Clare, found the hardened lump of vomit on the beach in Lahinch.
“Who knows what we could get — we have our fingers crossed,” Alan said last night.
The vomit could contain a substance called ambergris which is produced in the digestive system of sperm whales. The substance is used by high-end perfumes from houses such as Chanel and Lanvin to fix scent to human skin.
“One drop of ambergris can change a perfume,” Claire Payne, an aroma therapist and perfumer told ABC News. “It’s what we call an animalic smell, different to the citrusy or fruity scents. It’s like musk, and we use it in several of our fragrances,” she added.
Most Popular Blog Posts
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Ten best Irish lies — fabulous fibs that...