Why I'm heading for Winter Olympics gold in curling in 2014
Posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young woman they turned in to U.S. authorities - “The IIIC is deeply sorry for the hurt and upset that this incident caused the young woman”
- The Irish community returns to Hurricane Sandy hit Rockaways to aid ongoing recovery
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities by Irish immigrant support group - Boston-based Irish International Immigrant Center does the unspeakable
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
I want to become an Olympian so I'm thinking of taking up curling.
Yes, I know I'm, a bit old, mid fifties and all that, but after watching the curling on TV last night I think I can still hack it in four years time.
Basically you throw or glide something that looks like an iron or a kettle lid along the ice hoping to land close to a disc object a few hundred feet away.
It is horseshoes for Olympians, except there is more skill in horseshoes.
There's more. There are two sweepers, who clean the ice with brooms in front of the kettle lid as it flows down towards the ice. That's why my wife would be an excellent Olympian too.
She is always complaining about sweeping up after me -- now we can do it to win gold together.
There are lots of silly sports at which you can win Olympic medals, but curling takes the biscuit.
The silver lining is that I can still dream of being an Olympian three decades after I reached the height of my athletic prowess when my friend and I combined to win the three legged race at our school sports day for former pupils.
Now if they ever have three legged curling I'm even more interested
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.