Van Morrison and a magical day in belfast
Posted on Sunday, January 03, 2010 at 12:20 PM
- Mario Cuomo and Mike Dowling dazzle at Irish America lunch
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
Whether or not Van Morrison has fathered a baby with Gigi Lee his reputation is still stellar.
I met him once. I was in a Belfast hotel near where critical talks on the Northern Irish peace process were going on in 2002 . I saw a man sitting in the restaurant as I was being seated and thought he looked an awful lot like Van Morrison. Of course it was him and it took me back to a magical day in 1995 when President Clinton visited Belfast.
Van the Man was there to blast out his magical anthem 'There'll be Days Like This' when Clinton stepped onto the stage at the Belfast City Hall in what he later described as one of the greatest days of his presidency.
For miles around over 500,000 people Catholic and Protestants cheered his name to the echo.
Van's song was just right for the occasion and it was the beginning of a wonderful day.
As a result I'll always associate Van Morrison with that amazing day for peace in Ireland.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm