Sarah Palin needs to get serious if she wants to challenge Mitt Romney and the big boys
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
Sarah Palin rained on Mitt Romney's parade yesterday by showing up in New Hampshire during his 2012 announcement speech but she will have to do more that just play a political gadfly if she wants to be president.
A prescient Wall Street Journal column on Friday outlines Palin's dilemma. A darling of the right, she has solidified her base by attacking all the other candidates who stray from Republican orthodoxy but she has failed to come up with any new policies herself.
It is easy in politics to play the attack dog and Palin has done that very successfully, but whether she can ever be a fully fledged candidate remains to be seen.
In terms of policies Romney is far ahead of the field. His announcement was a brisk and clear 'it's the economy stupid' speech going after Obama on his critical weakness.
Romney has the experience and ability to back up his attacks , his political machine is revved up and ready. This is his hour and he is the man the White House fears most.
Palin on the other hand would be their dream if she somehow came through the primaries.
Sound bites won't work in debates or long media interviews.
Neither do flaming attacks on opponents based on catch phrases and clever words.
Palin may never actually become a candidate and her gadfly syle of attack politics will always please her base and make her even richer no matter what.
But if she wants to get into the big leagues with Romey she will have to do better than a sneak attack on Romney while he is announcing his candidacy.
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Irish people in UK 'less likely to identify...