Massive reaction to our most annoying things about Ireland story
- Mario Cuomo and Mike Dowling dazzle at Irish America lunch
- Recalling Irish America’s greatest moment: President Clinton’s first visit to Belfast
- Inquiries into pre-Good Friday Agreement Northern Ireland crimes must end
- “Philomena” a must-see movie that breaks your heart (VIDEO)
- What JFK’s America was really like in November 1963 - Time capsule of New York Daily News paper of the day
Read More: Ten most annoying things about Ireland
We ran a piece yesterday on the top ten things one of our writers Simon Morrison did not like about Ireland and wham!-- the reaction was instantaneous.
The comments began flowing in immediately to our Facebook page and to the website. Many were from Irish people in Ireland outraged that there could be anything like the number of things wrong in Ireland our writer discovered.
I got invited on radio in Ireland to talk about the article and found myself assailed by a couple of hosts slamming Irish Central for even intimating that everything was not perfect in Ireland.
It suddenly made me realize just what a low ebb confidence in Ireland is at the moment. The death of the Celtic Tiger and the collapse of the economy have led to a deep sense of self doubt that the article seemed to touch upon.
The writer made it clear that he had actually enjoyed Ireland, but, just for contrary reasons decided to talk about the things he did not enjoy.
He stayed away from the obvious ones, the weather -- it was glorious-- and traffic because he took public transport most of the time.
But no refills for coffee, waitresses not interested, no daytime flight, many road signs that led nowhere were all included.
Most I would have though were pretty basic and most people would agree with them.
Not many of our readers.
It also shows the deep love and affection that is out there for Ireland among Irish Americans.
Many recounted in great detail the wonderful time they had there and were shocked to hear anything bad.
As well they should be. Ireland is a magnificent place that combines people scenery and craic in a wonderful pastiche.
But it is not perfect.
Which is all Simon Morrison was saying.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas