Anchor babies a big lie in immigration reform battle
- Profile in Irish fighting courage - Heffernan’s campaign for respite care for families dealing with fatal rare illnesses such as Batten’s disease
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate deal for visas because of 1965 shutout - Says “Schumer visas” set to give Ireland 10,500 visas a year for the future
- Prospects for immigration reform bill are 50-50 say the pols privately - House seen as major obstacle as Senate gets closer to a vote
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing on Pat Finucane death - New hearings told how informer was murdered before he could give evidence
- U.S. Tourism Ireland chief Joe Byrne says goodbye and hello again to massive acclaim - Popular Carlow native led tourist figures to Ireland to historic heights
The anti-immigrant hysteria about 'anchor babies' is a complete fallacy.
Right wing shows are full of talk about Mexicans coming here to have children so that their parents can become legal.
It is complete nonsense and Rush Limbaugh and others know it.
A child cannot claim a parent until the child is 21 years under U.S. immigration law.
But the naysayers would have you believe it is an immediate process.
It is not , nothing close to it.
But the hardliners prefer to let the poisonous rhetoric flow rather than face the facts.
Amazingly, Senator Lindsay Graham has now joined the 'anchor babies' crusade.
He has called for every person born to an undocumented person to be considered illegal too.
In fairness, that is what the Irish government currently considers the law.
There is one significant difference however. In Ireland such babies once automatically transferred citizenship to their parents.
That is not what the law is in America.
Chasing down new born children and deporting them on the spot smacks of Nazism not the great American democracy.
I have often pointed out that were today's restrictions in place the ancestors of Ronald Reagan or John F.Kennedy would never have made it to America.
We need a reasoned debate on immigration not just ignorant armies clashing by night.
God knows we could do with it.
15 - 45 | See all comments
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Right-wing shock jock Pete Santilli slammed...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Guinness summit? Obama and Putin to enjoy...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...