Pope Benedict snubs Dublin's Archbishop Martin for new cardinal list
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
|Archbishop Diarmuid Martin and Pope Benedict|
Surprise, surprise, no red hat for Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, the outspoken head of the Dublin Archdiocese, in Pope Benedict's latest list of new cardinals.
Martin is far too honest, straightforward and unable to play the Vatican game to be made a cardinal of course.
No doubt if Martin had kept his mouth shut and made the usual apologetic noises without ever slamming the institutions of his own church he would have been seated in the next conclave.
That was never to be with Martin showing forensic honesty and addressing the root causes of the massive child abuse scandal that has so badly damaged the Catholic Church in Ireland.
In the process, Martin has become the most popular clergyman in Ireland, but a pariah within the corridors of power. The Vatican even walked back his decision to suspend two auxiliary archbishops for their roles in alleged cover ups.
Martin's forthright statement when the Cloyne diocese cover-up was exposed almost definitely ended his hopes pf promotion.
‘There may be a cabal in Cloyne’, admitted Dr Martin. ‘They may have friends in other parts of the Irish Church. They may have friends in Irish society. There may be friends in the Vatican. ‘The numbers that are involved in this are few. The damage that these people cause is horrendous. '
New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan elevated to cardinal by Vatican
More news stories on the Vatican from IrishCentral
Casey Anthony releases first YouTube video - no mention of daughter Caylee - VIDEO
Reading the list of cardinals, it is striking how many are current members of the Curia, essentially civil servants, who have made all the right bureaucratic moves and have now reached the pinnacle of achievement outside of being named pope.
Ironically Martin was one of those Curia members before being dispatched to Dublin to stem the rising crisis there.
But once in Ireland he stopped being a man of the Vatican and became a man of the people instead.
Which is why he will never be a cardinal under this pope at least.
15 - 42 | See all comments
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...