People and Politics by Patrick Roberts
Bill O'Reilly apologizes for Sherrod remarks - others still silent
Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
- Obama relative gets personal special deal on immigration in Boston court
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
- My top ten Thanksgiving turkeys for 2013
- Was Tony Blair cuckolding the “Dirty Digger” magnate Rupert Murdoch?
Congratulations to Bill O'Reilly who has become one of the first right-wing commentators to admit he was terribly wrong about Shirley Sherrod.
Bill O’Reilly offered an abject apology on Wednesday, for making comments about Sherrod and showing a controversial tape that was edited to make it seem she was a racist.
"I owe Ms. Sherrod an apology for not doing my homework, for not putting her remarks into the proper context,"
he said on "The O’Reilly Factor,"
"I well understand the need for honest reporting."
O'Reilly admitted he "did not analyze the entire transcript, and that was not fair."
O'Reilly's mea culpa is in sharp contrast to the silence on the right after the tape released by activist Andrew Breirbart was revealed to be very selectively edited.
The edited version did not include the section of the speech where Sherrod said the episode had taught her the importance of overcoming personal prejudices.
The white farmer she helped has since praised Sherrod who has been offered her job back
On Wednesday, the White House apologized to Sherrod, and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack offered her a different job.
15 - 48 | See all comments
the Latest #IRISHTRAVEL
- Irish trafficker of rhino horns pleads guilty in New York...
- Your Voice, Your View: Have your say about IrishCentral's redesign...
- Irish Traveller family charged with kidnap and slavery over thirteen years ...
- Irish traveler charged over New York rhino horn sale...
- Irish puppy farm now a favorite destination for Hollywood A-listers...
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm