The Keane Edge by Brendan Patrick Keane
He beat throat cancer, happy birthday Dad
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 at 02:09 AM
- Exorcism of my inner Peter King
- Gas question: why give Ireland's enormous wealth away? the Norweigan alternative
- Bashing the Irish -- a break neck run down on Ireland's history of betrayal
- Stephen Fry to appear on Gaelic soap opera Ros na Rún
- Stolkholm Syndrome infects Dublin
That's my beautiful Mother, Theresa O'Shea from Ballymacelligott, County Kerry. I was out to see my parents in Queens for my Dad's birthday yesterday. It was a birthday that might not have happened, except that my Dad fought throat cancer and won. Excellent care and music got him through it.
Using a camcorder and some poor lighting choices, I made some YouTube videos last year for a channel we called Irish Music Therapy, putting down some of my Dad's memories and tunes during the period of his radiation treatments.
Now that he's healthy again, he's back planning gigs with Randal Bays and Dáithí Sproule for their band Fingal.
And we're continuing to mine his memories, and putting pictures and stories on his website.
It was such a lovely day of music, and lasagna! (My Mom makes the best lasagna ever.)