Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Robin Gibb was the focus of an FBI investigation involving a hitman
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2012 at 09:41 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
Newly-released documents claim the singer sent messages from his Miami home to London lawyers Haymon and Walters, with one telegram reading: "What you have done is just about the limit. I have taken out a contract ... it is now a question of time."
The firm reported Robin - who married Molly, the mother of two of his children, in 1968 and divorced in 1980 after years living separate lives - to the FBI after receiving "numerous threatening telegrams from Gibb which threatened their lives", according to the bureau's report.
Files released under the Freedom of Information Act show investigators considered further action and discussed how to probe the allegations without alerting the 'Staying Alive' hitmaker, who was at the height of his fame.
However, Robin's lawyers wrote to the FBI and said the singer "would not be foolish enough to carry out any threat, especially in view of his singing career".
The matter was eventually dropped, with the file closed in March 1981 because Molly and the lawyers did not want to press charges.