Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
'Real Steel' actor Hugh Jackman's boxing sparring partners let him win because he is famous
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2011 at 12:06 PM
- Niall Horan says eating Irish sausages and playing Croke Park will be ‘biggest moment’ in One Direction career
- One Direction's boys claim their tour bus is surprisingly boring
- Demi Moore wants Ashton Kutcher to pay for her New York home renovations
- Christine Quinn and Khloe Kardashian almost wore same wedding dress - 'I was devastated because that was my dress!' says mayoral hopeful
- Tori Spelling's husband Dean McDermott gave her a 3-carat diamond ring to mark their seventh wedding anniversary
He said: "I’ll absolutely know my career is over when I go in for a boxing session and get the s**t beaten out of me, and the other guy won’t care.”
However, one person who wasn't impressed by his fame was legendary pugilist Sugar Ray Leonard – who has won world titles in five different weight divisions – and Hugh believes he even went harder on him when the cameras were around.
He told Men’s Health UK magazine: "I was a little star-struck. He hit me harder than anyone, and if he saw a camera around, those punches became a lot harder."
Despite his punishing training schedule, Hugh loved the workout and even occasionally treated himself to a beer as a reward.
He said: "It involves strength and cardio. I don’t think there’s anything more tiring than boxing. It makes you feel amazing.
“I was about 10lb heavier than I normally would be. It was kind of nice to have a beer now and again.”
The full interview appears in the October issue of Men’s Health UK on sale now.