Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Ellen DeGeneres's Beverly Hills mansion sells for $49 to Ryan Seacrest
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM
- ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ star Jessica Chastain wants to protect her private life
- Cat Deeley kept her wedding to Patrick Kielty a secret by pretending she was organizing her 40th birthday
- ‘Lone Ranger’ star Johnny Depp has revealed he is almost completely blind in one eye
- TV host Nick Cannon tried to reach out to Amanda Bynes
- Selma Blair has been axed from 'Anger Management' after clashing with Charlie Sheen
Ellen - who spent one season on the judging panel of 'American Idol' - and Portia have sold the property at a loss after spending $48 million assembling the huge estate.
They bought the $30 million 9,500-square-foot single-story house and spent millions more on the surrounding properties, before beginning extensive renovation work.
The home sits on 2.87 acres just off Coldwater Canyon - near the Santa Monica Mountains - behind gates on its own street and also includes two guesthouses totaling 15,000 square feet, a three bedroom house, and according to official listings "every conceivable amenity and state-of the-art security".
Portia previously revealed the pair fell in love with the property - which previously belonged at different times to Laurence Harvey, Joan Collins and 'Will & Grace' co-creator Max Mutchnick - when they went to watch a screening of Ryan's show 'American Idol'.
She told Architectural Digest: "We'd heard how beautiful it was and then we came over to watch 'American Idol'. We pulled into the driveway and we just knew before we even walked through the gate."