Could JC Penney’s fire Ellen DeGeneres for being 'openly gay'? - VIDEO
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaffrey
- John Travolta's was upset 'Look Who's Talking' costar Kirstie Alley flirted with him
A group called OneMillionMoms.com has called for Ellen DeGeneres to be axed from her new JC Penney spokesperson role, only weeks after she was appointed.
The group, which is a project of the American Family Association, told it’s readers to petition against the talk show host being named the new spokeswoman for the department store, as she is openly gay.
“Funny that JC Penney thinks hiring an open homosexual spokesperson will help their business when most of their customers are traditional families,” reads a statement on the sites official website.
“DeGeneres is not a true representation of the type of families that shop at their store. The majority of JC Penney shoppers will be offended and choose to no longer shop there,” the statement warned.
“Ask JC Penney to replace Ellen DeGeneres as their new spokesperson immediately and remain neutral in the culture war,” it advised supporters.
Read more Ellen DeGeneres related stories here on IrishCentral
Ellen DeGeneres and Randy Jackson are hosting a star-studded gala to help Brad Pitt's charity
Martin Sheen to explore his Irish roots in upcoming “Who Do You Think You Are?” episode – VIDEO
Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (Glaad) came out in defense of the bigotry.
“While designated hate groups try to start ‘culture wars,’ it’s clear that a vast majority of Americans today support Ellen as well as their LGBT friends and family members,” Herndon Graddick, Senior Director of Programs and Communications said in a statement.
“Selecting an out performer who has inspired and entertained millions, is not only a smart business practice, but a reflection of how LGBT Americans today are an integral and valued part of the fabric of our culture.”
Speaking about her new role last month, DeGeneres revealed to her audience that it was not the first time she has worked for the department store.
“One of my first jobs ever was working at the JC Penney in Louisiana in ladies’ apparel. It was the 70s so if you were looking for tube tops or flared trousers then I was your girl.
“This is a full circle moment because I am excited to announce my partnership with JC Penney,' she said.
She added: “And most importantly, I'm gonna get my employee discount again. Hello new pillows!”
JC Penney CEO, former Apple executive Ron Johnson, explained why the company chose DeGeneres to the Associated Press: “I think Ellen is someone we all trust. She's lovable, likable, honest and funny, but at her soul, we trust her”.
Here's E!'s report:
- Paris Hilton vows to make Lindsay Lohan "pay" for ordering an attack on her brother ...
- The Wanted star Siva Kaneswaran has got engaged to his long-term girlfriend Nareesha McCaf...
- Susan Boyle believes her mother's ghost is with her "all the time"...
- One Direction are close to signing a deal for their own reality show...
- Noel Gallagher thinks "embarrassing" Miley Cyrus has put female artists back "five years"...
- John Travolta's was upset 'Look Who's Talking' costar Kirstie Alley flirted with him...