Amy Andrews Gossip Girl by Amy Andrews
Christina Aguilera admits she and her ex-husband weren't “angels” during their marriage
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2011 at 09:16 AM
- Kristen Stewart has been leaning on her friends since splitting from Robert Pattinson
- One Direction's clean freak Harry Styles' bandmates have nicknamed him "Mrs. Mop"
- "Broken City" star Mark Wahlberg's son loves to punch him "in the nuts"
- One Direction’s Niall Horan says he’ll strip naked if his The Eagles go on tour
- Carey Mulligan "scared" Joel and Ethan Coen with her foul-mouthed audition tape for "Inside Llewyn Davis"
In an interview with W magazine, the blonde star – who has a three-year-old son Max with Jordan - said: “At one time or another we were both not angels. It got to a point where our life at home was reminding me of my own childhood. I will not have my son grow up in a tension-filled home. I knew there would be a negative reaction in the press to my divorce, but I am not going to live my life because of something someone might say. That goes against everything I sing on my records. I have to be myself.”
Christina endured a tough childhood, during which she witnessed her father Fausto emotionally and physically abuse her mother Shelly and she admits she sought comfort in songs - especially in the musical ‘The Sound of Music’, which features the numbers ‘Maria’ and ‘Edelweiss’.
The ‘Fighter’ singer – who is now in a relationship with Matthew Rutler, who she met on the set of her film ‘Burlesque’ - explained: “I felt caged by my childhood. And unsafe: Bad things happened in my home; there was violence. The ‘Sound of Music' looked like a form of release. I would open my bedroom window to sing out like Maria. In my own way, I’d be in those hills.”