New York GAA: McGuigan Leads Tyrone to Victory, Jackson Eight Is a Hit, Quiet Win for Leitrim


McGuigan Leads Tyrone to Victory

Tyrone 2-15 Dublin 2-5

TYRONE used a splendid performance by Shane McGuigan to easily account for Dublin in this senior football contest. McGuigan kicked eight wonderful points from frees and play in his first outing in New York. 

Dublin did get close in the second half but missed a penalty; it crashed of the bar left them shy. Tyrone then added three points to their total for the important victory.

Dublin scored first but could only add two further points in the opening half while Tyrone kicked 1-5.  Adam Fitzgerald got the goal after a six player excellent move. 

Dublin did have a clear-cut goal chance in the first half, but Damien Corrigan stopped a shot by Mickey Henderson.

Shane McGuigan was already stamping his name on the performance with two points, one from play, one a free, while David Morgan crashed a clear-cut goal chance into the side netting with five minutes left in the half.

Tyrone added to their lead as the second half opened with 1-4 against a point for Dublin. Morgan had the goal after a perfect pass from Farrell gave him the easy task to flick home. 

Dublin did have resurgence when Niall Coughlin had a brace of goals in the 14th and 17th minutes, but the same player crashed a penalty against the crossbar when they could have made the last five very interesting.

As it was Tyrone kicked six of the last seven points, with man of the match McGuigan getting three for the comfortable win.

Tyrone will be delighted with the new superstar; Shane McGuigan looks to have that sort of ability. Damien Corrigan made a very timely save.  Joe Bell and Aiden Power (first half) was very prominent; he went off injured with a leg problem.

Mickey Coleman was a strong ball carrier and he finally found the scoring touch after a couple of wides. David Morgan continues to excel, and his link play with Coleman and McGuigan was impressive.

Dublin will feel that the second half performance showed promise. Colm Larkin, Ciaran McColgan, Andy Gray and Niall Coughlin were all impressive.

Dublin: 1 Eoin Loughnane, 2 Colm Larkin, 3 Adam Keaney, 4 Fergal Powell, 5 Sean Gibney, 6 William Forkan, 7 Ciaran McColgan (0-1), 8 Andy Gray, 9 Peter Kenny, 10 Nick McKeown (0-1), 11 Niall Coughlin (2-1), 12 Jonathon Maloney, 13 Chris Corcoran, 14 Mark Connolly (0-1), 15 Mikey Henderson (0-1).

Tyrone: 1 Damien Coleman, 2 Dan Jackson, 3 Ger McCullough, 4 Joe Bell, 5 Neil Maguire, 6 Aiden Power (0-1), 7 Ciaran Quelly, 8 Conor McNabb, 9 Mickey Coleman (0-3), 10 Conor Skeffington (0-1), 11 Shane McGuigan (0-8), 12 Adam Fitzgerald (1-0), 13 Michael Gallagher, 14 David Morgan (1-1), 15 Niall Farrell (0-1).

Referee: John Fitzpatrick.

Man of the match: Shane McGuigan (Tyrone).

Jackson Eight Is a Hit

Galway 4-18  Offaly 4-10

GALWAY opened their senior hurling season with a high scoring victory over Offaly in the three team championship.

Robbie Jackson had a tremendous day with a personal tally of 1-8 over the hour in a man of the match performance.

Galway built an eight point first half lead, and despite getting pulled back to two at one stage was able to finish the outing back at eight up with a closing six point burst.

While Offaly had the first two scores of the game, Galway rebounded with a vengeance. They had their first goal after three minutes when Jackson blasted to the net, and followed a point with their second three pointer from John Beirne after six minutes.

Shane Sweeney blasted a free to the net for Offaly, but a procession of scores followed for the Tribesmen. They added 1-8, with Jackson one of the main sharp shooters while Offaly could only reply with a Sweeney point and a late Niall Marshall goal when he doubled on a dropping ball.

The half was marred by a nasty skirmish with Aiden Roche and Killian Lenard both getting red cards for their involvement, but Galway were sitting on a strong 3-9 to 2-4 halftime lead.  Offaly also lost a player to a broken leg which marred the outing.

Offaly had a resurgence to open the second half with 1-3 to 0-1 inside the first seven minutes.  Marshall had the goal after a long run by Dan Dwyer split the defense. Aiden McInerney took over the free taking duties and was clinical. 

The side was making it very interesting as the game reached the three quarter mark. While Galway had a brace of points, Offaly added a McInerney goal from a 20 meter free in reply when Dwyer was fouled.  It left four between the sides. 

Marshall followed with a point from play, with Donie Broderick the assister when he rocked the Galway challenger with a perfect shoulder, then found Marshall with an excellent pass.

Galway settled, however, and they had a David Fahy goal before they answered two McInerney points with the last six points of the game. 

Galway had a large panel on hand for the game which sets them as the favorites for the Michael Flannery Cup even at this early stage. Liam Butler, Luke O’Loughlin and Alan Sherlock impressed at the back. Robbie Jackson and Eoin Hogan dominated the middle of the park which was the foundation for the victory. John Madden and Aiden Roche did well up front with Madden popping up all over the field.