Since being closed in 1963, North Brother Island is only home to protected wildlife
A bathtub in the west wing of the tuberculosis pavilion
A spiral staircase remains in the crumbling floorboards
The decaying examination table in the morgue
A piece of machinery left to rot since the abandonment in 1963
A physician's lodging in the doctor's cottage
Inside the boys' dormitory; most of the books were cast-offs from Queens Public Library.
Each dormitory room inside the nurses' building contained a small sink and shelving unit, pictured here
North Brother Island while it was still operational circa 1937
The original healthy typhoid carrier in the U.S, Typhoid Mary (right) poses with a nurse at one of the hospitals in which she was kept.
Slideshow will continue in 5 secondsSKIP