The beginners guide to Irish slang
Irish Central's top phrases that the locals use behind your back
Here is some of the best Irish slang, certain to confuse and guaranteed to amuse!
Go on ya good thing, why not drop one of these phrases into your next board meeting to demonstrate your depth of Irish lingo.
I am as sick as a small hospital.
-I am feeling rather ill today.
He would get up on a cracked plate.
-That gentleman has very low standards in female company.
She is so ugly the tide wouldn’t take her out.
-The lady is aesthetically challenged.
He is an awful long string of misery
-That man is rather tall and skinny
He was as useful as a cigarette lighter on a motorbike.
-That gentleman is particularly useless.
You couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
-You have a terrible aim.
He was as tight as a ducks arse.
-He was very cheap with his money.
You could talk for Ireland.
-That person is very loquacious.
Grand soft day.
-The weather is dreadful today.
Sound as a pound!
-Sounds like a good plan.
We are sucking diesel now.
-Things are going well.
Do you fancy a few scoops?
-Would you be interested in an alcoholic beverage.
That lad is an awful chancer.
-He will try anything.
Christ on a bike.
-I don’t believe what’s before my eyes.
You will have a cup in your hand.
-Would you like a cup of tea?
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Owners of Boston’s Burren Pub to host CD release party while helping homeless...
- Irish nanny lawyers in Boston murder case obtains computer records...
- New Boston mayor wants to abolish ICE fingerprinting policies...
- Boston nanny lawyer seeks computer records of slain baby’s family...
- Caroline Kennedy sworn in as new U.S. ambassador to Japan...