Irish Family History and Genealogy
with curious news and notes from Ireland.
Among Todays Topics at the Hedge School:
1) Family of the Day: Whelan
2) Snows return to Ireland
3) Meryl Streep has roots in which county ?
4) Ireland first electric bike: Video of the week
5) Counties Derry, Donegal and Tyrone: NW Ireland
6) Norman Castle in Wexford falls
7) Books: Surnames of North West Ireland
Listen 7 of my podcast series on the iTunes Irish Provider Page at:
This Weeks Audio Timeline
Todays Topics: 1:00
Notes from Mike: 2:00
One Minute Podcast: 4:00
Book of the Month: 6:30
The Magnificent Seven: 9:30
Irish Name of the Day: 11:30
Websites of the Week: 16:30
Curious News and Notes: 18:30
Total Time: 25:50
My Enhanced Genealogy podcast with photos and links is also free at:
Notes This Week:
What’s happening today at the Irish Roots Cafe
1) Peter Reilly Adams is getting ready for Ireland, and
his current group is set to depart just before St. Pat’s Day.
Safe trip to all. His trips are one of a kind experiences and
always be prepared for the unexpected !
2) We are getting our list of books to publish this year,
and are trying to make up our minds.
3) We are also putting together our final plans for the hedge
school online, with audio files and courses. I think we’ll
start one at a time. Right now, looking for software to offer
the audio files….
One Minute Podcast
Let’s take a listen to one of my 7 podcast series.
Covering Song; Recitation; Travel; History; Irish-America;
or Irish language. ( Full version available on podcast)
Todays Podcast extract is from The Hedgerow History Podcast.
We discuss here some of the earth shattering events for
old and new Irish Families in the 17th century in Ireland.
That century saw an incredible number of families settled in
Ireland from Scotland and England in Ireland, and they took
over the lands that the Irish had owned. If you sided with the
losing Irish army you would lose everything.
Families were exiled and many ordered to the province of
Connaught, primarily County Clare, where it was planned they
would be encircled by families settled from the opposing army,
with their backs to the ocean….see “The Cromwellian Settlement
of Ireland” and the maps in this book, authored by Prendergast.
For all of my Irish podcasts, go to these addresses:
Irish Family History: http://www.irishroots.com/podcast/rss.xml
Photo Enhanced version: http://www.irishroots.com/podcasten/rss.xml
Irish in America: http://www.irishroots.com/podcast2/rss.xml
Irish Song /recitation: http://www.irishroots.com/podcast3/rss.xml
Irish Video Shorts: http://www.irishroots.com/irishvideo/rss.xml
Irish Hedge Row History: http://www.irishroots.com/podcast4/rss.xml
Books of the Month:
1) Surnames of North West Ireland by Mitchell. softcover.
Major Surnames of Gaelic and Planter Origins. (Clearfield)
This book is given to cover Counties Derry, Donegal & Tyrone.
2) Defenders of the Plantation of Ulster 1641-1691.
Muster Roll of the Garrison of Londonderry during the Rebellion
of 1642-1643, and Defenders of Ireland during the Williamite War
of 1689-1691. Softbound. 64 pages. (Clearfield)
2) Families of County Donegal, Ireland. Hardbound.
3) County Donegal Genealogy & Family History Notes. spiral.
4) County Derry (Londonderry) Ireland, genealogy & family history notes
5) County Tyrone, Ireland, genealogy & family history notes.
6) Conquest of Ireland ( 4 book set) The Plantation of Ireland by Hill.
Including volumes on Pynnars Survey of Landowners and Names given
in the Land Grants in Northern Ireland.
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: