by Eileen O’Callaghan, Senior Program Coordinator
1. Drink plenty of liquids - Dehydration is the root of many heat related health problems. Drink plenty of water or juice, even if you're not thirsty. But remember to avoid alcoholic or caffeinated drinks, as they can actually contribute to dehydration. So this is not an excuse to guzzle pints!
2. Wear appropriate clothes - An old Swedish saying says, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes." When it's hot out, wear light-colored, lightweight, loose-fitting clothes and a wide-brimmed hat.
3. Stay indoors during the hottest part of the day - During periods of extreme heat, the best time to go out and about is before 10am or after 6pm, when the temperature tends to be cooler.
4. Take it easy - Avoid exercise and strenuous activity, particularly outdoors, when it's very hot out.
5. Keep an eye on the heat index - When there's a lot of moisture in their air (high humidity), the body's ability to cool itself through sweating is impaired. The heat index factors humidity and temperature to approximate how the how the weather really feels. The current heat index can be found on all popular weather websites, and is also usually announced on local TV and radio weather reports during periods of warm weather.
6. Seek an air conditioned environment - Seniors whose houses aren't conditioned should consider seeking an air conditioned space during extreme heat. The mall, library, or movie theater are all popular options. During heat waves many cities also set up "cooling centers", air conditioned public places, for seniors and other vulnerable populations. Seniors without convenient access to any air conditioned place might consider a cool bath or shower.
7. Know the warning signs of heat-related illness - Dizziness, nausea, headache, rapid heartbeat, chest pain, fainting and breathing problems are all warning signs that help should be sought immediately.
8. If you are concerned about a heat- related illness contact your primary care doctor immediately!
Log in with your social accounts:
Or, log in with your IrishCentral account:
Don't have an account yet? Register now !
Join IrishCentral with your social accounts:
Already have an account ? Log in
Or, sign up for an IrishCentral account below:
Make sure we gathered the correct information from you
You already have an account on IrishCentral! Please confirm you're the owner.
Our new policy requires our users to save a first and last name. Please update your account: